Antonio Conte will begin work at Chelsea next week after recharging his batteries following Italy’s Euro 2016 exit.
The Azzurri bowed out of the tournament on Saturday night in Bordeaux after losing to Germany on penalties.
However, his mind has been occupied with thoughts of the Euros in France and his preparations for life in west London have been limited so far.
The path has now been cleared for the Italian to take charge at the Bridge but his efforts with his nation have taken their toll mentally and Conte now needs a break.
He has confirmed he intends to report for duty next Monday and will have five days to work with the players before Chelsea fly to Vienna for a friendly on July 16.
He said: “My future is to go back to working at club level, my future is Chelsea. In a few days’ time the new season will begin.
“To be honest I'd have liked not to have had a single day’s holiday, that would have meant going forward to the final of the Euros and moving forward.
“Now I will take seven days off, I will try and shift a bit of this disappointment at going out of the competition, before then taking the reins at Chelsea.
“I know it will be a significant difficult challenge but that is the sort of challenge I relish."
Cone, who admitted he did have second thoughts at one stage after giving Italy notice of his intention to leave, heads to Chelsea with his stock having risen considerably.
The Italians were well organised, showed great team spirit and defied expectations to reach the quarter-finals and were unlucky to go out on spot kicks at the Euros.
While he was preparing to head off on holiday yesterday, Chelsea secured their first summer signing as Michy Batshuayi signed a five-year contract at Stamford Bridge.
The Blues have paid £33million to sign the Belgian international from Marseille after he banged in 17 goals in Ligue 1 last season.
Batshuayi had been linked with London rivals Crystal Palace, West Ham and Italian giants Juventus.
But having consulted with his international team-mates Thibaut Courtois and Eden Hazard, the powerful forward was confident he had made the right choice.
Graziano Pelle, one of Conte’s trusted troops at the Euros , is now tipped to follow him with Loic Remy set to follow Radamel Falcao and Alexandre Pato out the door.
The Southampton striker only has one year remaining on his Southampton contract and could provide a better option than Remy as a squad player for next season.
Pelle would still command a fee in excess of £10million despite his expiring contract, particularly given his strong showings for Italy this summer.
A deal for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly is also said to be in the works as reports gather pace he could arrive in time for the club’s pre-season training camp in Austria.