More details of the Shepherd’s Bush tower block blaze which fire investigators believe was started by a faulty tumble dryer have emerged as Andy Slaughter prepares to discuss the issue in Parliament.

The Hammersmith MP is warning lives could be lost if faulty domestic appliances are not put out of use and recalled, and is using a House of Commons debate to demand action by the government to prevent further fires occurring.

The "fire risk from faulty tumble dryers" motion will take place on Tuesday (September 13) and is expected to last 30 minutes.

The fire in Shepherds Court - part of the Charecroft Estate - on August 19 damaged several floors and destroyed two flats. Twenty-six homes were evacuated and 20 families moved into temporary accommodation.

Despite the ferocity of the flames only three people were treated for minor injuries.

Video thumbnail, Shepherd's Bush flat fire
Video Loading

The fire started in the seventh-floor home of Debbie Defreitas, who was using an Indesit appliance listed as faulty by manufacturers.

Indesit and parent company Whirlpool currently say it is safe to continue using the appliances as long as they are not left unattended.

But despite following this advice, Mrs Defreitas’ was unable to prevent the blaze.

She had become aware of a problem after smelling burning, and unplugged her Indesit dryer before pulling it away from the wall and letting smoke out by opening the appliance door.

Watch as the fire takes hold

Video thumbnail, Shepherd's Bush flats fire vid
Video Loading

She then rang the fire brigade and stood on her landing, but by the time firefighters arrived at the scene the flames had taken hold and were spreading to other properties.

Mr Slaughter said the next blaze could end in tragedy. He has written to Indesit and has now secured the debate in Parliament.

He said: “What is most remarkable is that apart from three minor injuries, no one was hurt in the blaze, though the trauma, especially for those who witnessed the worst of the fire, may well have a longer-term effect.

“But the circumstances are very similar to the Lakanhal House fire in Southwark in 2009 where six people died. That, or worse, could easily have happened here.

“We await the publication of investigations into the Shepherds Court fire, but one thing is already clear: Mrs Defreitas was following to the letter the advice given her by Whirlpool, the owners of Indesit.”

Ambulances arrive on the scene

Video thumbnail, Shepherds Bush fire air ambulance vid
Video Loading

He says government must stand up to big businesses and added: “Most urgent is an instruction to Whirlpool and other manufacturers to change their approach to customers: faulty appliances that may cause fires must be taken out of use and recalled and replaced immediately.”