London Fire Brigade (LFB) believe a tumble dryer which was due to be seen by an engineer started a blaze at a flat in Shepherd's Bush - and have warned people not to use them if they are due to be repaired.

On August 19 a blaze engulfed flats in a tower block by the green, which firefighters believe began due to a faulty Indesit tumble dryer.

The blaze began in the kitchen on the seventh floor and the occupants were in at the time using the tumble dryer.

But luckily, they were uninjured and escaped smoke coming from the dryer.

LFB said the tumble dryer, which was subject to "corrective action," was due to be seen by an engineer.

Damage could be seen at the flats in the Shepherds Bush tower block after the fire

Following the fire, which took 120 firefighters to put out, LFB has warned that if a tumble dryer is subject to a product recall people should stop using it immediately.

LFB has also asked Indesit's parent company, Whirlpool, to change their current advice guidelines as "a matter of urgency."

Currently Whirlpool recommends: "You may continue to use your tumble dryer whilst waiting for the modification, however, we require that you do not leave your dryer unattended during operation as an extra precaution (i.e. do not leave the house or leave the dryer on whilst asleep)."

Instead LFB want people to completely stop using their tumble dryers completely if they are awaiting modification.

A spokespersons said: "We want this change because we attend nearly one fire a day involving white goods.

"While there is a fire risk people should not use their appliance until it has been checked and repaired."

Video thumbnail, Shepherds Bush fire trapped people
Video Loading

You can find out if your tumble dryer is subject to a product recall here .

The residents of the five flats effected by the fire in the block have had to be rehoused.

London fire commissioner, Ron Dobson, said: "If my kitchen had one of the recalled goods in it, I would unplug it straight away until it has been checked and repaired.

"The speed with which the fire took hold shows how dangerous a faulty tumble dryer can be that’s why we are calling for Whirlpool to urgently change their advice to consumers.

"The flat’s occupants had a terrifying ordeal. The kitchen quickly became smoke logged and thankfully they noticed the smoke and quickly left the flat and called the Brigade. This decision could have saved lives.

"If your appliance is subject to a safety or recall notice or you think there is something wrong with it our advice is simple.

"Unplug it immediately and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician."