Almost £230,000 has been made by fining motorists for turning into and out of a busy Ealing road in little over three months, new figures reveal.
On July 4 earlier this year the Labour run Ealing Council began to fine drivers for turning right into Longfield Avenue from Uxbridge Road and left into Uxbridge Road from Longfield Avenue.
Exclusive figures obtained by getwestlondon reveal from July 4 to October 7 this year, a total of 4,650 motorists were given a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) for breaching the ban.
The fines in this period generated £229,684 due to the £110 charge for the breach, although 2,654 of the drivers coughed up £65 for paying within 14 days.
It marks an average of just more than 48 cars a day being fined per day, despite Labour Councillor Bassam Mahfouz saying in June that the average number of drivers caught breaking the ban had fallen to two per day after a 10-week "grace" period.
Commenting on Cllr Mahfouz's statement, the council said: "There was an error in a statistic used in June and we apologise for this mistake".
After learning of the money raised by fines, Will French, who has lived on the nearby Gordon Road for 23 years, said: "It is mind blowing, it is a huge amount of money.
"I think it reflects that people did not understand the purpose of it.
"There are signs there so there is no reason why people would not know about ban, but it reflects the fact that it does not make sense."
The council said it had introduced the ban to ease congestion and boost safety, based upon information from TfL (Transport for London) and police highlighting a "number of accidents" at the junction.
But Mr French, along with Gregory Phelan, who has lived in Gordon Road since 1990, believes the ban has served to make congestions worse in surrounding roads including their own and St Leonard's Road in partcular.
The pair are frustrated the council did not consult residents before pressing ahead with the turning ban.
Mr Phelan added: "It has created congestion in the area, even during the day, any time during the day.
"It is incredibly difficult during the rush hours."
A council spokesman said: "This trial was introduced to improve road safety and we will be carrying out a full review this month to see what difference it has made.
"We did everything possible to help people to avoid getting tickets.
"At the beginning of the trial we installed 28 temporary and permanent signs, well in excess of the three required by law, and issued warning letters instead of fines for the first 10 weeks of the scheme.
"The money received as a result of the fines is ring-fenced and used to pay for concessionary travel schemes, such as the Freedom Pass and for other road safety and traffic management projects.
"We have been monitoring the junction on CCTV and if you compare the number of drivers seen breaking the ban each hour in April, to those caught on CCTV now, there has been a marked reduction. "
Conservative Councillor Alex Stafford accused the ban of being a money-making initiative for the council, and that signs are not clear enough warning of the ban.
Cllr Stafford, who represents the Ealing Broadway ward, said: "It is a phenomenal amount of money, it is astounding that it made that much money is such a short period of time.
"The signs are wholly inadequate, they are designed to catch people out. The council have only done this to make money. Without consulting residents it is a disgrace."
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.