A turning ban into and out of a busy Ealing road generated more than £800,000 in seven months through fines, new data reveals.
Exclusive figures obtained by getwestlondon show 13,185 motorists were charged for turning right into Longfield Avenue from Uxbridge Road, or left into Uxbridge Road from Longfield Avenue, between July 4 last year and February 22 this year.
Fines made £813,451 for Ealing Council during this period, after 4,033 drivers coughed up £130 and 9,152 paying £65 because it was paid within 14 days.
It comes after engineer, Phillip Emsley, won an appeal against his fine at a tribunal on Thursday March 9 which ruled signage was insufficient.
Adjudicator Sean Stanton-Dunne concluded Mr Emsley's view of a sign immediately before the junction on Uxbridge Road was blocked by a bus.
Conservative Cllr Alex Stafford, who represents the Ealing Broadway ward, called for fines to be reviewed and refunded if motorists were dealt a similar fate.
He said: "This is on track to make £1million per year which is a phenomenal amount of money.
"It should be independently reviewed.
"If any of them (motorists) are found to be unfairly fined they should be refunded as quickly as possible.
- Westminster terror attack: How events unfolded2:05
- Sadiq Khan said London will never be cowed by ter1:22
- Parliament shooting: Footage shows aftermath on W0:32
- Livestream of Westminster incident
- Hail, thunder and wet weather forecast for London2:12
- The secret code word for the Queens death revealed0:38
"It was never about safety, this has clearly been a money making exercise.
"The detriment is not only to local residents but businesses.
"People contact me outside the area, they are now put off coming to the area."
In April last year the ban was first introduced because the council believed it would improve safety, before it began charging motorists from July 4.
The local authority said the trial ban would end after six months, and would review it before deciding on its future.
The council went on to perform a U-turn and extended the trial to May this year, saying it would enable it to collect more data.
Labour Cllr Bassam Mahfouz, cabinet member for transport, environment and leisure, hit back at Cllr Stafford.
He said: "The Tories have shown time and again that they don’t care about road and pedestrian safety.
"There are more signs here than currently light up Piccadilly Circus, a jaw-dropping 21 in total, so we’ve gone above the extra mile to ensure drivers are made aware of the restrictions.
"With weeks of warning notices instead of penalty notices, we really couldn’t do more to notify drivers.
"Ealing Labour have a proven track record of prioritising and improving road safety and we’re looking to achieve exactly that at this busy junction after a number of collisions here.
"Whilst the Tories want to gamble on pedestrian safety, Labour is determined to focus on saving lives and so we’ll carry on with this trial, putting road safety first.
"The appeals service is not a court and adjudicators can and do make different decisions on the same junction and as a result no one case sets a precedent."
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.