A new site of container homes in Hanwell is nearing completion and will be ready for homeless families to move in this month.

The modular homes development in Bordars Walk, named Marston Court, has been given temporary planning permission for 10 years whilst it houses families who were homeless.

Nearby residents have been invited to take a closer look at Ealing Council's court, which contains 34 separate homes which are a mixture of studio and one to two bedroom units.

As well as the houses, the site has a play area, laundry room and management office.

Resident woke up 'shocked' to find them near her home

The container homes have not come without controversy, after a Hanwell resident expressed her shock after they were erected very close to her home.

Janis Hawkins claims she didn't get notified of further meetings and was told there would be trees and shrubbery planted to shield the view. Pic: Janis Hawkins

Janice Hawkins, who has lived in Hanwell for 13 years had previously told getwestlondon she understood the need for them, but could not believe the proximity and why residents nearby weren't consulted.

After finding them put up the morning of January 10, the 63-year-old had said: "I didn't receive any notification about the changes in plans in Bordars Walk.

"I was initially told there was going to a car park, shrubbery and trees planted in the area, but there isn't any of that."

Janis said she isn't against containers being built, such as these 10 year ones, but says she wasn't informed of further consultations

An Ealing Council spokesman did not comment on whether initial plans had been altered, but responded: "We wrote to residents in 2015 to give them a chance to view and comment on proposals to build temporary modular housing for families on the site of disused garages."

Site 'attracted antisocial behaviour' but now will be home for people who suffered 'distressing' times

In a statement, the council said the government’s changes to benefit rules, alongside steeply rising rents, has resulted in increasing numbers of people becoming homeless and turning to the council for help.

The council said: "A shortage in social housing, and affordable alternatives in the private rented sector, means that these families often find themselves in expensive bed and breakfast accommodation.

"The modular homes development will provide a better temporary solution for both the families affected, and the council."

Ealing Council and the development company, QED Sustainable Urban Developments will be hosting an open day on from 10am to 2pm on March 8.

Residents will be able to take a look around the landscaped site and inside the housing units and staff from Ealing Council and QED will be on hand to answer questions.


Councillor Jasbir Anand, cabinet member for housing, said: "This site was previously occupied by disused, derelict and unsightly council garages that attracted fly-tipping and antisocial behaviour.

The planning application which has been granted permission for 10 years

The planning application which was submitted in 2015

"This development is a huge improvement and will provide a temporary home for local people who find themselves in the incredibly difficult and distressing situation of being made homeless.

"We know that local people have been curious about the site, so I invite them to come along to see the development for themselves and find out more about why it is needed."

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!