BOXING coaches were shocked this week to learn that for more than a year, Hamir ‘Daz’ Sediqy has been living in a fantasy world over a so-called Olympic Games selection for Afghanistan.
Not only has the country of his birth never heard of the Brentford 75kgs (middleweight), but war-torn Afghanistan’s only male entrant at flyweight, Ajmal Faisal, was granted a ‘wild card’ by the International Olympic Committee.
Sediqy, a former Gunnersbury schoolboy, had previously told the Chronicle the ball started rolling for him at a ‘selection’ tournament in Kabul when he visited the Afghan capital in July 2011.
Afghan Olympic spokesman Mujeebullah Rahmani would beg to differ, saying: “Because of the situation in Afghanistan at the moment, no boxing tournaments have taken place for some time.
“I don’t know this man you speak of. Faisal was always our only entrant for the men’s boxing.”
As late as last Thursday, Sediqy sent a message via Facebook claiming he had been injured sparring – but was still hoping to make the Olympic draw on Saturday.
A month ago, the 24-year-old reported he was awaiting the arrival of Afghan officials with his Olympic uniform and learning the country’s national anthem – just in case.
However, further messages by Facebook and email have failed to get a return, and his mobile phone number became unobtainable at the weekend.
The talented 2011 Haringey Box Cup winner has never put a foot wrong for his club, Dale Youth, since he joined after arrived in West London aged 10.
But Dale coach Mickey Delaney admitted he was taken aback when we told him the news that Sediqy had turned into Walter Mitty.
“We can’t quite believe it at Dale,” he said. “He’s never let us down in all the time he’s been here. “He told me a while back he was having a ‘warm-up’ bout for the Olympics, and I was keen to go, but I never heard back from him,.
“I rang him all the time over the last two weeks without getting a reply. Normally, he gets back to me within half-an-hour.”