BRENTFORD boss Andy Scott was far from happy despite seeing his side cruise into round two of the FA Cup with a comfortable win against Gateshead.

Goals from Ben Strevens, Charlie MacDonald and Myles Weston saw the Bees safely through to a meeting with Walsall on Saturday week.

However, Scott was disappointed his side never won by more against their non-league opponents.

He said: "We scored five goals, but if people did everything they were good at maybe we would've had more.

"We let two poor goals in again, that's the problem at the moment. We're very convincing going forward, but still could've done better.

"I'm happy we've gone through but not the fact we've conceded twice again and had spells where we've looked vulnerable.

"We've got to be ruthless and relentless, certainly against teams that you've got the upper hand against. I didn't feel we did that in long enough spells."

Both sides failed to create any clear-cut chances early on, but Strevens broke the deadlock three minutes before the break when he pounced on a loose ball in the box to smash home his first goal in a Brentford shirt.

Strike partner MacDonald (pictured) doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when he met Cleveland Taylor's cross to send them in 2-0 up at the interval.

Brentford had a scare when Graeme Armstrong pulled one back for the visitors just before the hour mark when he drilled across Bees keeper Lewis Price into the far corner.

However, last season's leading scorer MacDonald extinguished any hope with his second two minutes later after latching onto Marcus Bean's pass.

Weston got in on the act with a 25-yard screamer, then scored a second with a tap in to put the hosts out of sight.

Armstrong added another for the Blue Square Premier side to restore some pride for Gateshead late on.

BEES: Price 7, Foster 7, Legge 7, Osborne 7, Dickson 8, Taylor 8, O'Connor 8, Bean 8 (Hunt 78 mins, 6), Weston 8, Strevens 8 (Cort 71 mins, 6), MacDonald 9.

Subs (not used): Moore, Ferrell, Bennett, Wood, Kabba