Chelsea are prioritising a deal for Kalidou Koulibaly after Roma dismissed suggestions Kostas Manolas will leave during the transfer window.
The Blues are in the market for a new centre-half as a long term replacement for their veteran captain John Terry.
Juventus’ Leonardo Bonucci had been Antonio Conte’s top target this summer but the Old Lady are reluctant to do business for their star defender.
Koulibaly and Manolas are also on the new Chelsea manager’s shortlist and enquiries have been made for both.
However, Roma head coach Luciano Spalletti has dismissed reports linking 25-year-old Greece international Manolas with a move away from the Stadio Olimpico.
"Manolas is a good footballer, like there are many good footballers, so it's only normal his name has come up in the transfer market - indeed it is inevitable," Spalletti explained.
"But his intentions are clear, so there are no issues. Why not talk instead about the problem of writing about issues that are not there? Manolas will stay with us."
Koulibaly’s agent Bruno Satin is keen to ensure his client is one of the new faces heading through the door at Stamford Bridge and confirmed their interest in an interview with Radio CRC.
"I was in Dimaro on Saturday and we discussed a contract renewal," Satin said.
"However, we are not at the point of reaching an agreement. The desire of the player is to leave the club, not renew.
"We are told by the club that he is a great player but from the renewal on offer, we don’t see this.
"Last year they wanted to sell him, stating he was not focused enough, but then last season he has shown all his quality.
"To the fans I say stay calm because he won’t be joining Juventus. Chelsea and Everton are still interested as they are both searching for a central defender of his quality."