Hayes & Yeading United made it three Blue Square Premier wins on the spin with an impressive 2-0 win over ten-man Wrexham this afternoon (Saturday).
Garry Haylock's men had scored just seven times in their eight completed away trips prior to arriving at a soaked Racecourse Ground, but they held that two goal lead at half time after some generous Wrexham defending allowed Toby Little to stab the ball home from close range in the ninth and eleventh minute. Wrexham's reply was minimal to say the least with only Wes Baynes registering his side's sole shot on goal in a dismal first half.

The hosts looked more interested at the start of the second but any hopes of a comeback were hit by the 52 nd minute sending off of Lamine Sakho for a disgraceful head-butt on United's player of the match Esmond James.

United controlled the game for long spells and restricted Wrexham to just a handful of chances in the second half to register their third clean sheet in a row and just their fifth in 17 league games.

Hayes started brightly and created the first chance of the game after four minutes. Mulley burst through the midfield before laying the ball off to James. His cross from the right picked out Sean Canham, but the on-loan striker directed his header wide of Chris Maxwell's right hand post.

However, five minutes later United took the lead. As Wrexham appealed for offside James was allowed too much time to cross deep from the right, the ball flashed across the face of goal and Little was on hand to poke the ball past an exposed Maxwell.

Two minutes later and United were in dreamland. A neat one-two saw Sean Canham cross into the six yard box and Little ghosted in ahead of a static Wrexham rearguard to jab the ball past Maxwell, prompting a chorus of boos from the disbelieving home crowd.

Wes Baynes summed up the Red Dragons' frustrations with a late lunge on James, which earned him the first booking of the game. Mulley was the next in the book after his over-zealous challenge left goalkeeper Maxwell in a heap inside his 18 yard box.

The hosts looked rattled and were unable to construct any passages of play together with only Baynes trying his luck from 15 yards after barging his way through two challenges.

Hayes boss Garry Haylock was forced into an early change with Sami El-Abd replacing injured centre-back Matt Ruby. Dragons boss for the day, Brian Carey, also had to reshuffle things after Silvio Spann limped off. Curtis Obeng moved to right back with substitute Hedi Taboubi coming into the midfield.

Justin Cochrane then tried his luck from halfway on 36 minutes with Maxwell well off his line after a poor clearance kick.

Wrexham made a change at the break with Neil Taylor replacing the ineffective Mike Williams. Four minutes in and Baynes brought a smart save out of previously untroubled United stopper, Simon Overland. However, from the corner, Hayes broke up-field through the dangerous James and it took three red shirted players to stop the winger in his tracks.

Then, after 53 minutes, the game exploded into acrimony. Sakho was showed a yellow card for diving in the box and James immediately squared up to the big striker, who responded with a brutal head-butt on the Hayes midfielder, giving referee Paul Davison no option but to issue him with a straight red.

Davison and one of his assistants finally restored order after the melee but tempers had rarely been given a chance to dissipate when Taboubi saw yellow for a rash challenge.

Wrexham regrouped and produced their best chance of the game in the 64 th minute. Substitute Taylor threaded a lovely pass through to Baynes, who took two touches before his low shot was deflected away by Overland's outstretched left leg. From the quickly taken corner Andy Fleming flashed a long range effort over the bar.

Staforde Palmer replaced James with 20 minutes left before Adam Green watched his fierce drive from 30 yards zip just wide as Hayes threatened to add to their lead.

Haylock then made his third and final substitution with Sean Canham making way for Craig Watkins.

Not even the announcement of six minutes added time could prevent the angry home fans from heading for the exits in their droves. However, for the dedicated few United followers that had made the four hour journey north to follow Haylock's rejuvenated side, it was party time.

Hayes & Yeading: Overland (Gk), Allen-Page, Green, Cadmore (cpt), Ruby (El-Abd, 26), Mulley, M Canham, Cochrane, James (Palmer, 71), S Canham (Watkins, 85), Little.