The much-dreaded news has been confirmed - lollipop men and women in Hounslow will face the axe.
Hounslow council has said the "difficult decision" to withdraw funding from its school crossing patrol service to save £160,000 is due to drastic government cuts to local budgets.
However it has vowed to ensure children's safety when travelling to and from school, and is working with schools, police and the local community on this.
The jobs were in the firing line at the end of last year when the council announced cuts of £7.2m.
The latest decision was made at a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday (March 21).
Councillor Steve Curran, leader of Hounslow council, said: “This is just one of many extremely difficult decisions we are having to make and has arisen following a review of all services.
“This review was carried out at a time when we, as a council, are under more pressure than ever to provide excellent local services but with drastic cuts in our budget year on year from central government.
“We all – the council, schools, parents and guardians and the police – have a collective responsibility to ensure our children get to and from school safely.
“As part of the recommendations, we remain committed to working with our schools to source alternative funding to provide this service.
"Our traffic service is also working with the police to investigate traffic issues and make sure local roads are even safer."
20mph driving zones are already in place around schools and nearby residential roads.
The council said it will also continue to steer cycle schemes and the Beat the Street project to encourage walking to school.
The council faces a reduction in its spending of £23.6m per year for the next two years.
Tell us what you think of the latest news on school patrol services. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area .