When a man jumped from the top of an escalator at Victoria station shortly after 7.30pm on Monday (September 12) evening, it marked the end of an astonishing 16-hour stand-off with police.

Officers from British Transport Police (BTP) had been called to the station at 4am to reports of 'a vulnerable man in a precarious position at the top of an escalator' .

Large parts of the station were sealed off while specialist officers spoke to the man and attempted to bring him to a place of safety.

Despite their best efforts, the man jumped but his fall was broken by an air cushion.

Nonetheless he suffered head injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.

We are looking back at the incident as it unfolded, as well as bringing you a condition update on the injured man.

Injuries ‘not too serious’

BTP tell getwestlondon the man’s injuries are “not too serious”. He remains in hospital on Tuesday (September 13) afternoon, where doctors continue to assess him.

Pictures tell the story

More photos taken earlier in the day show police at the scene and the sealed off Victoria station.

Air cushion breaks fall

Injuries sustained in the fall would have been far worse had BTP not used a air cushion, Superintendent Horton. He added: “The incident will be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.”

Head injuries

The patient is treated at the scene for a head wound and taken away in an ambulance to hospital in a stable condition.

Man jumps

As the clock ticks towards 16 hours, the stand off dramatically ends when the man earlier described as ‘vulnerable’ by police jumps. A cushion had been inflated below him to prevent injury. However, police say the man was able to jump from a lower ledge.

Busy concourse

Superintendent Horton confirms the incident is having no impact of evening train services but says the station concourse may be busier during the peak periods.

A special thanks to patient passengers

BTP’s Superintendent Chris Horton issues another statement, saying: “We’d like to thank the public for their patience during this incident.” Evening rush hour passengers have to negotiate the closed areas as the stand-off continues.

Evening rush hour

As Victoria station gears up for the evening rush hour, police continue with their efforts to talk the man down safely. The stand-off has now lasted well over 12 hours.

Photos emerge

Photos on Twitter taken by passengers show the sealed off area. In one dramatic image a man wearing a red top can been seen sitting on the arm of an escalator with his feet dangling over the edge.

A male appears to be sitting on the side of the escalator at Victoria Station on Monday (September 12) morning
A male appears to be sitting on the side of the escalator at Victoria Station on Monday (September 12) morning (Image: @_eddiemac)

Discussions continue

BTP tells getwestlondon there have been no further developments, seven hours after they were first called. Officers are still continuing their efforts to get the man to safety.

Rush hour at Victoria station

The Monday morning rush hour is in full swing at Victoria station. But the entrance to the station in Buckingham Palace Road that leads to platforms 15 to 19 from the bus station remains cordoned off by BTP as specialist officers continue to speak to the man.

Disruption to passengers

The statement goes on to say that, although services are running unaffected, parts of the station have been sealed off, and warns of possible disruption to passengers using the station, with the morning rush hour already beginning.

Police statement

BTP statement is released. It says specialist officers are engaging with a ‘vulnerable man’ at the top of the escalator.

The stand-off begins

The first British Transport Police (BTP) know of the problem is when it receives calls of a person in a ‘precarious position’ at the top of the escalator at Victoria station.