Four teenagers accused of murdering a handyman with a knife and an axe were 'up for it', not acting in self defence, a court heard today (Monday, November 17).
Kiro Halliburton and Zakariya Subeir, both 18, claim they were forced to defend themselves when Mr Thrower kicked his way through a door to get at them.
Their two 17-year-old friends, who are said to have handed them the weapons and encouraged an attack, deny having been part of a joint enterprise.
Prosecutor Peter Finnegan QC told the Old Bailey the explanations were 'nonsense'.
He said: “The two defendants in the bin chute area, Halliburton and Subeir, both say they had no other option but to act as they did. They say they only did what they instinctively thought was necessary.
“The Crown's case is that is nonsense. This group of youths was up for it that night.”
Jurors previously heard that the confrontation began when Mr Thrower's partner, Geraldine Roberts, told the youths to leave the area in St Dunstan's Close on February 20.
CCTV cameras recorded her swearing at the teenagers before telling Mr Thrower what had happened.
Mr Thrower chased Halliburton and Subeir into a bin chute area but they held a door closed to stop him.
He was captured on film breaking through the door and climbing through a gap.
He was then hit with an axe three times on his head and shoulder and stabbed 10 times in the back and chest.
Halliburton, of Tollgate Drive, Hayes, Subeir, of Rockingham Road, Uxbridge, and the two 17-year-olds, from Hayes, deny murder.
The trial continues.