A new training facility in Hanwell for Queens Park Rangers FC (QPR) is set to go ahead following backing of a High Court judge.
Planning permission was granted in September 2015 for the facility to be built on a 60-acre site in Warren Farm.
The move was met with fierce criticism from campaigners, led by Hanwell Community Forum, who launched a judicial review.
At a hearing today (Thursday March 9) Mr Justice Dove rejected claims Ealing Council councillors had been misled into approving the plans.
Council leader Cllr Julian Bell said: "We are pleased with the judicial review decision and, with QPR set to invest millions of pounds into the community sports facilities, I’m confident we’ve secured the best deal for local people.
"Once the site is up-and-running, QPR will implement a significant community sports development programme which focuses on encouraging local people, particularly young women, older people and people with disabilities, to get involved in sport.
"The club will also be responsible for on-going maintenance of the new facilities, with no cost to taxpayers or the council."
The new facility will include two floors and a basement, with a huge land levelling operation which will involve 180,000 cubic metres of infill.
Campaigners feel public access to the urban open land will be jeopardised by the project.
Lawyers representing Hanwell Community Forum urged the court to consider the site's status as Metropolitan Open Land, and its long term use by dog walkers and ramblers.
Representative Carolyn Brown claimed the council's planning committee had been "significantly misled" by a planning officer's report.
These points were ignored and Mr Dove said the council had properly balanced the benefits of the scheme against any harm caused.
The impact of flood-lighting, noise and the reduction in public access to the land had been taken into account.
It was heard there was a "compelling need" for the facility and a lack of alternative brownfield sites.
Campaigner Malcolm Weller said: "Of course we all looked at the evidence and came to another conclusion, that it was incorrect for the council to grant that planning permission.
"It is taking away land and sport facilities from the communtiy."
QPR CEO Lee Hoos said: "This is positive news and another significant hurdle that we've overcome.
"There is still some way to go but we are really pleased with the outcome of this verdict."
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.