It's almost the summer holiday season and after months of planning the perfect destination for a reasonable price, your dream holiday is finally booked - so surely it's now time to relax and start crossing the days off on your calendar until it's time to head to the airport.
But no, not for Londoners! For us there's clearly a whole lot more to worry about like missing our beloved pets, losing a passport or not being able to sit next to family and friends on the flight.
Missing flights comes top of the worry pile with 34% of London residents fretting about getting onto the plane on time - 31% of London holidaymakers worry about bad weather and a third arrive at least three hours early to the airport in an attempt to ease their concerns.
The figures come from the UK’s travel protection body ATOL, which surveyed 2,000 UK adults who went on holiday abroad.
And the research found that Londoners were so busy worrying that they often failed to take action to safeguard against their concerns.
Nearly three quarters of Londoners (74%) admitted to travelling without insurance.
So what makes it into the top 10 of holiday woes for Londoners?
- Missing flights or transfers.
- Bad weather.
- Losing a passport.
- Hotel not being up to standard.
- Needing medical attention while abroad.
- Travel company failure.
- Having possessions and valuables stolen.
- Forgetting to turn off appliances at home.
- Missing beloved pets while away.
- Bagging a seat on the plane next to travel companions.
For the younger generation, technology is high on the agenda when it comes to worrying, with 25% of 18-25 year olds admitting they worry about a lack of wifi at the hotel and 22% admitting they are concerned about leaving their charger at home.
"People spend too much time worrying about things that are outside of their control, such as the weather and getting ill while on holiday," said psychologist Donna Dawson.
"It is far better to concentrate on those things that you can control," she added.
"Taking practical steps to protect you, your family and your holiday will give you peace of mind.
"Travel insurance will help protect your belongings, while ATOL protection will ensure that you can get home should the worst happen and your holiday company fail."
The figures collated by ATOL also showed 26% of Londoners had required medical attention on holiday in the past and 34% have lost their personal possessions or had them stolen on holiday.
What can you do to ease worries?
ATOL has provided the following tips to help you enjoy a stress free holiday:
- Ensure you have all the relevant paperwork and key documents in one place.
- Travel light and weigh luggage before heading to the check in queue.
- Create a check list you can go through before you leave home.
- If you are are worried about anything in particular, make a contingency plan in advance.
- Use the flight to kick back, relax and let the holiday begin!
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.