A bedroom was gutted in a fire after a make-up mirror caught the sun's rays and reflected onto the curtains, sparking huge flames.
The resident was alerted to the blaze, at a house in Arthur Road, Wimbledon, as soon as the smoke alarm started sounding on Tuesday (July 28) evening.
Flames sparked when a spell of sunlight focused through the mirror, which was on a dressing table next to the window, bounced onto the curtains and caught fire.
The blaze spread to furniture and other items stored close to the window leaving part of the room damaged and many items burnt and broken.
Two fire engines were sent to tackle the fire at 6.32pm and firefighters had the fire under control at 7.09pm.
Thankfully no one was injured in the blaze.
Chris Williams, from London Fire Brigade’s investigation team, said: “These sort of fires are not as rare as you would think and shows these types of fires are not an urban myth.
"Crystals, glass ornaments and items such as dressing table mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight.
“Thankfully the resident was alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm.
"It’s essential that everyone has at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home.”
This is the latest fire sparked by sunlight following two incidents in February when a Nutella jar sitting on a window sill caught fire at a house in Twickenham which left the family in mourning after their dog was killed and their house gutted; and another days before when sunlight refracted off a mirror table at the Mayfair home of lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone.
London Fire Brigade has recorded more than 120 fires caused by the sun's rays in the last five years.
Brigade’s top three safety tips are:
• Keep mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from the sunny sills
• Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat
• If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the brigade