The number of people killed in the fire at Grenfell Tower may be below 80, police have said.
Scotland Yard has previously estimated “around 80” had perished in the blaze, but warned a final death toll would not be known for some time.
But during an update given on Tuesday (September 19) morning, police said the final figure may be below 80.
Police have previously been accused of lowering the true number of those who died in the June 14 fire, prompting accusations of a cover-up .
The Met also said it was considering individual as well as corporate manslaughter charges.
It is investigating eight cases of fraud involving people who claimed money following the disaster and four possible thefts from flats on the lower levels of the tower while it was under 24-hour security.
Commander Stuart Cundy said the progress made in terms of recovering remains was "much higher" than he had expected three months ago.
Some 60 of the estimated 80 people killed in the fire have been formally identified, he said, adding that the exact figure would not be known until the investigation was complete.
He said the 80 figure "may come down a little bit" due to the recoveries made from the tower, the number of identifications made and video evidence from the night.
CCTV viewed by police showed that 240 people left the tower between midnight and 8am on the night of the fire.
But, he said, there could still be people with no social or family connection outside of the tower, and not on any official lists, who therefore could still be within the high-rise.
He declined to put a number on how many the death count could fall by.
Detective Chief Inspector Matt Bonner said the investigation would deal with "whatever offences come to light".
He said: "The kind of stuff I would envisage we may come across would involve offences perhaps of fraud, misconduct offences, health and safety breaches, breaches of fire safety regulations, and of course offences of manslaughter, whether that be on a corporate or an individual level."
He warned that this did not mean that investigators had already come across evidence suggesting culpability on these issues.
So far, investigators have identified 2,400 different individuals to speak to, and taken more than 1,000 statements.
These include 675 firefighters, 340 police officers and a similar number of ambulance staff involved in the emergency response up until 8pm on June 14.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.