A woman, and her cousin, escaped the Grenfell Tower inferno from the 22nd floor - whilst her husband had an excruciating wait to find out if they'd made it to safety.
Naomi Li, 32, and Lydia Liao, 23, told of their incredible escape from the second highest floor of the building, just two hours after the blaze engulfed the high rise block in Kensington .
As the fire took hold, the pair had stayed put on the advice of 999 operators, and were huddled in terror on the 22nd floor, according to The Mirror .
Ms Li called her husband, Lee Chapman, who was away on business, and said: "I don’t know if we will make it. I love you."
He was left to watch the tragedy unfold on social media.
But after seeing the fire spread at devastating speed, the cousins realised they had no choice but to leave.
In a shocking Facebook post, Ms Li told how they somehow made it out alive.
Having wrapped wet towels and a cardigan around their faces, they got on their hands and knees and crawled down the narrow staircase filled with deadly black smoke.
"Thirty seconds or a minute later and I don’t think we would have made it," she said.
"We couldn’t see anything through the dense smoke, just very blurred lights.
"I tried to call Lydia on every floor to make sure she was behind me.
"Lydia fell over a body and screamed.
"I told her to get up and that we needed to focus on getting down."
"I kept telling her and myself that they weren’t bodies and were someone’s clothes.
"That was probably the saddest experience in our lives.
"I was just determined we would get out.
"Every breath felt like someone was trying to choke me.
"We moved fast, but the stairwell never seemed to end."
Finally the pair got to the fifth or sixth floor and were rescued by firefighters.
Ms Li was able to call her distraught husband Lee to tell him they had made it.
They are believed to be the only survivors from the 22nd floor.
Their extraordinary escape came as more tragic stories continued to emerge yesterday.
Marcio and Andreia Gomes managed to escape the inferno from the 21st floor, only for the toxic fumes to kill their unborn child two months before he was due to be delivered.
The pair stepped over bodies and down smoke-filled stairways with their two daughters aged 10 and 12.
But their unborn child, thought to be the youngest victim of the tragedy, was delivered hours later as a stillborn as his mum laid unconscious in an induced coma.
Mr Gomes, 38, told The Sunday Telegraph: “The doctors came and said the baby’s heart had stopped and the priority is the mother.
“My wife gave birth that night while she was in an induced coma, so she didn’t know at the time. At 11.03 in the evening my baby boy was born.
“I was holding him, he looked peaceful, like a baby that was just sleeping. I wanted to be there with him but he had already died.”
Survivors of the disaster who were illegally sub-letting their flats will not be prosecuted if they speak out, it was announced last night.
Some of those who made it out of the burning building are believed to be scared to come forward in case they are punished for unlawfully housing people.
But Communities Secretary Sajid Javid has promised no residents who identify themselves or others will face any action.
He said: “Supporting those affected by the tragic events at Grenfell Tower has been the absolute priority of the Government.
“That includes making sure that loved ones still missing are identified. Therefore I would urge those with information to come forward without fear of prosecution.”
Some 80 people are confirmed to have died in the blaze but residents say the number is far higher.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.