All of the children listed as missing in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire have been formally identified, a coroner has said.
Dr Fiona Wilcox was speaking as she opened and adjourned the latest round of inquests at in Westminster on Wednesday (September 20).
It brings the total to identified victims to 66, with 60 inquests held so far.
Her comments came after police had said the death toll from the June 14 blaze may be slightly less than the previous estimate of around 80.
Speaking at Westminster Coroners’ Court, she said: “It was a huge milestone today to be able to identify all of the children off this (the police) list and although it has taken a long time, 15 weeks, I am satisfied that all of those identities are secure and reliable and I wish to thank all of those who have worked so hard to achieve that and I particularly give thanks to all of those very many people who have been waiting.”
The court heard eight-year-old Mehdi El-Wahabi , who died along with his family on the 21st floor, was identified from his DNA.
Coroner’s officer Eric Sword said the provisional cause of death was “consistent with the effects of fire”.
His parents, Abdulaziz El-Wahabi, 52, and Faouzia, 41, and their eldest son Yasin, 20, have been confirmed dead at inquests.
Rania Ibrahim, 31, was identified by her dental records after her remains were recovered from the tower’s 23rd floor, the inquest heard.
Her husband and other family members were present in court as Mr Sword said the provisional cause of her death was “consistent with the effects of fire”.
The mother-of-two live-streamed harrowing footage when she became trapped in the block with her daughters, Fathia, five, and Hania, three.
In the five-minute Facebook Live video, she told friends she could not get out while comforting the terrified youngsters.
Inquests are yet to be held for the girls.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.