A campaign group is disputing the official Grenfell Tower death toll given by police.
Justice4Grenfell (J4G) believes the total number killed in the disaster is 99, and not the 71 released by Met Police earlier on Thursday (November 16).
It believes some victims have been left off the list, while others died whose remains have never been found.
They say there are those who still remain unaccounted for since the fire .
Police said the final two victims were identified on Wednesday (November 15), bringing the total to 70.
Officers are also treating stillborn baby Logan Gomes as a victim, taking the total up to 71.
Police are confident that all those who died in the fire have been recovered and identified, despite the search operation within the building expected to run until early December.
But Moyra Samuels, from J4G, thinks otherwise. She told getwestlondon : “Those aren’t the figures we’ve been given. We’ve been reliably informed that 99 people died.
“We certainly believe the figure is higher than 70.”
She believes the names of some of the deceased are being held back, and that there are people whose remains will never be found due to the heat of the fire that are not on the official Met list.
“There are people that have not been named that are still missing,” she added.
Police revealed early in their investigation that they feared some victims would remain unidentified , but said on Thursday that this was not the case.
Ms Samuels says J4G will now launch its own forensic exercise, speaking to survivors that were inside the building, as it looks into the death toll of the disaster.
But Kensington MP Emma Dent Coad said she had “every confidence” in the police statement. She said: “There were rumours circulating soon after the fire challenging early estimates of deceased and missing.
“However, the police have done an incredibly thorough job - in addition to the difficult forensic work with fire service teams - of cross-referencing everyone reported missing.
“After five months I have every confidence in this police statement, and at time of writing have not yet heard of any dissent from the community.”
Police have previously addressed concerns of a death toll cover-up .
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area