News

Fulham acid attack: Two jailed for 'brazenly' targeting victim, 18, in street and leaving him scarred for life

They had carried out a "reckless" broad daylight acid attack in Fulham in April this year

Met Commissioner says it is far too easy to get your hands on corrosive substances

Two men who carried out a "reckless" daylight acid attack - which left their victim scarred for life - are now behind bars.

An 18-year-old man suffered serious burns to his face and neck after the noxious substance was thrown in broad daylight in Fulham earlier this year.

Antaeus Coutain, 21, of South Ealing Road, Ealing , and Mikhail Prince, 24, of Hannell Road, Fulham, were both sentenced to six years in prison on Wednesday (December 6).

The two men were previously found guilty of casting a noxious substance, with intent to maim or disfigure, at Kingston Crown Court on November 30.

Prince was also found guilty of possessing an offensive weapon and had earlier pleaded guilty to actual bodily harm to a woman, who had been near the male victim when he threw the acid.

Mikhail Prince is now behind bars for the acid attack(Image: Metropolitan Police)

'Prince planned his attack and brazenly targeted his victim'

Detective Inspector James Hale, of the Met's Trident and Area Crime Command, said: "Noxious substances can be devastating when used as weapon.

"In this case, Prince planned his attack and brazenly targeted his victim in the street and in broad daylight.

"As a result, he inflicted serious injuries on a young man, which have resulted in permanent scarring.

"This reckless attack also injured a woman, who just happened to be near the intended victim when this vicious assault was carried out.

"Coutain also played a role in the attack, and his culpability was clear with a jury also finding him guilty of the attack.

"They have both been jailed for a significant period of time, which shows the seriousness with which the courts treat these types of incidents."

Antaeus Coutain acted as a look-out to the crime(Image: Metropolitan Police)

The court heard how police were called to Fulham Palace Road to a report of an acid attack, at 1.13pm on April 19.

Officers attended the scene and were informed that the victim had gone to a central London hospital with serious burn injuries to his face and neck.

A woman, aged in her 40s, who was with the victim at the time of the attack, was also injured by the substance and was treated for small burns to her shoulder and neck.

Analysis of the substance used indicated it was a strong acid with a pH of one, police said.

The acid attack happened on Fulham Palace Road, near the junction with Lillie Road

The court heard during the trial that it was Prince who threw the acid at the victim, while Coutain had acted as a look-out.

The Met's Trident and Area Crime Command investigated the incident, and Prince and Coutain were identified from CCTV footage taken near the scene.

Coutain and Prince were arrested on May 22 and both charged in June.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!

View full mobile page