A father has appealed for help in catching the prime suspect in his daughter’s rape and murder on the eighth anniversary of her death.
Martine Vik Magnussen was last seen alive leaving a Mayfair nightclub on March 14 2008. Her partially concealed body was found amongst rubble in the basement of flats in Great Portland Street three days later.
The Norwegian, who was living with friends in Westminster , had been raped before her death.
The only suspect sought in connection with her murder, Farouk Abdulhak, fled to Yemen hours after student’s disappearance and has refused to return to the UK.
Now, the father of the 23-year-old victim, Petter Magnussen, is calling on Abdulhak to face justice.
He said: “We have been left devastated and distraught since the loss of our daughter. There is an enormous hole in our lives that can never be filled.
"Martine would have been 31 years old and I cannot help but wonder what she would be doing now - would she have settled down, married and had children?
'We cannot move forward'
“What makes the pain so much more difficult to accept is that we are being denied justice as Farouk Abdulhak fled to Yemen after the murder and refuses to return to the UK. He has continued to live his life for the past eight years and move forward, in contrast to my family and myself who cannot do that.
"What we can do and will do is continue to keep the spotlight on this case and cherish the memory of our beloved daughter.”
Martine had been celebrating her end of term exams at the Maddox nightclub with other students from the Regents Business School in Regents Park on March 14. She is believed to have left the venue between 2am-3am with fellow student Abdulhak.
Within hours of Martine’s disappearance, Abdulhak fled the UK for Yemen and has since refused to return to the UK. There is no formal extradition treaty between the UK and Yemen that can secure his return.
Police have released new images of the victim, and are using the eight-year anniversary to launch a Facebook advert to target users in the Yemen and encourage people close to Abdulhak to pressure him to return to the UK.
'Return to the UK to stand trial'
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Partridge of the Met’s Homicide & Major Crime Command said: “This case is still very much a live investigation. Farouk Abdulhak remains wanted for the rape and murder of Martine Vik Magnussen.
“Farouk Abdulhak has known for the past eight years now that he is wanted for the rape and murder of Martine. There have been extensive diplomatic efforts made over this time to return him to the UK, to no avail.
"This anniversary should serve as a further reminder that he cannot put this behind him, it will not go away and I appeal to him and those close to him to advise him to return to the UK to stand trial.”
A similar Facebook post in 2014 reached nearly 350,000 people and the dedicated Met webpage received 9,029 views, 7,160 of which were from the Yemen. The appeal is also being supported by the British Embassy in Yemen .
A post-mortem examination found cause of death as compression to the neck. An incident room was opened at Hendon. The inquest into her death at Westminster Coroner’s Court on November 24 2010 recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Incident Room on 020 8358 0300.