Dogs Trust in Harefield has issued a chocolate warning to pet owners this Easter after one of their pugs scoffed down an entire packet of After Eights.

Milo the pug, a former resident of the home, managed to sniff out the chocolates and had to be rushed to the vets where the seven-year-old dog spent the night under close supervision.

Chocolate contains theobromine which can be fatal and any dog owner whose beloved creature has eaten some is advised to take them to the vet immediately.

With plenty of Easter eggs and sweets floating around this weekend, Dogs Trust Harefield has warned dog owners to take care to avoid going through the same ordeal as Milo.

Milo spent the night at the vets after eating a whole pack of chocolate

Milo's owner, Lisa from Hillingdon , said: “We found Milo surrounded by After Eight wrapper carnage, after he found them in a bag under my bed – I didn't even know they were there, otherwise I would've put them safely out of reach so he couldn't get his paws on them.

“Milo has a habit of sniffing out food when your back is turned – from trifles off tables to throat sweets – so we have to be extra vigilant.

“By the time I'd realised he'd eaten 300g of chocolate he was looking very sorry for himself.

“We rushed him straight to the vet for treatment.

“We were so lucky Milo was fine, as it was worrying to find him in that state.”

Harefield was recently trying to find a permanent home for Bungle, who they think looks an awful lot like the editor of fashion magazine, Vogue.

Video Loading

Dogs Trust top tips to manage your dog’s sweet cravings

  • Ensure that any products that contain chocolate are out of reach to dogs at all times, locked away in a cupboard that they can’t open.

  • Never give your pooch any human chocolate as a treat. Ensure that children and visitors understand why and adhere to this rule too.

  • Make sure that bins are dog-proof to avoid four-legged friends scavenging through rubbish.

  • Never leave any chocolate unsupervised, such as cakes cooling on worktop surfaces!

  • Keep a close eye on your dog whilst out walking, to avoid them scoffing down discarded food that is potentially harmful.

Dogs Trust Veterinary Director Paula Boyden explains that whilst the temptation might be to treat your pooch to chocolate, it can have harmful effects.

She said: “It’s vitally important that dog owners don’t feed their beloved canines chocolate as the consequences can in some cases be deadly.

“While some dogs are more sensitive to the toxicity of chocolate, all dogs are potentially prone to poisoning.

“If you suspect your dog has eaten any chocolate, it is advised to take them to the vets immediately – especially if there are symptoms including; vomiting, a sore abdomen, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, changes in heart rate and arrhythmias or convulsions.”

If you have a craving for canine company and are interested in offering any Dogs Trust Harefield residents a loving home, call the rehoming centre on 0300 303 0292 or visit for more information.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!