A disposable barbecue sparked a grass fire which damaged a field equivalent to the size of five football pitches in Feltham.
Two fire engines and 10 firefighters from Feltham and Heston stations tackled the blaze for just under one hour, on Thursday (June 18) afternoon.
The London Fire Brigade said they were called to Faggs Road in Feltham at 2.48pm and the fire was under control by 3.37pm.
Station Manager Ben Moore who was at the scene, said: “We don’t want to stop people enjoying a barbecue in the sunshine but if people just take extra care grass fires like this one can easily be prevented.
“People using disposable barbecues should never place them directly on the grass, they should only be used on a heat resistant, stable surface like concrete or bricks.
"Barbecues should never be left unattended and people should make sure they are extinguished properly when finished with them.”
No reported injuries.
Tips on preventing grass fires:
• Never leave camp fires or barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them.
• Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire.
• Dispose of smoking materials such as cigarettes safely.
• Explain to children the dangers of playing with and lighting fires.