Greater compensation for those affected by a third runway and the possibility of congestion charging at the airport are the key items being highlighted by Heathrow as it submits its preferred scheme for expansion.
Today (Tuesday) is the deadline for the West London hub airport to tell the Davies Commission (the group set up by government to consider UK aviation expansion) how it sees its future.
Options including a new runway to the north-west are going head-to-head with plans to expand rivals like Gatwick or even authorise a whole new airport in Kent.
It will be for the commission led by Sir Howard Davies to decide next year which is the best option to secure the future of the aviation industry.
It is the north-west option which Heathrow is backing and since it was shortlisted it has done all it can to gather public opinion on everything from noise impact to transport links and job creation.
This included holding a six week public consultation between February and March which saw surveys sent out to thousands of homes in all affected boroughs and which over 13,400 people responded to.
Those views have now been used to influence its final report which is being presented to the media and industry by Heathrow chief executive Colin Matthews this morning.
Full details will be available on getwestlondon following the presentation, but what is known already is that a new runway would require around 750 homes to be compulsorily purchased.
The airport is proposing compensation of 25 per cent above un-blighted market value plus stamp duty costs and all legal fees in relation to purchasing a new home.
For a £250,000 property homeowners would receive £312,500 compensation, plus £7,500 stamp duty costs and any legal fees.
This proposal is more generous than previously proposed for a third runway when Sipson was the preferred location.
Compensation for residential compulsory purchase is generally offered at a statutory minimum of 10 per cent above market value.
Heathrow will also reveal a fund of £550 million for noise insulation and property compensation.
It is also expected to outline a case for a congestion charge for people travelling to the airport once improvements in public transport have been delivered.
Heathrow has made a commitment to increase the proportion of passengers who use public transport to access the airport from 40 per cent today to more than 50 per cent by 2030. A charge would provide a mechanism for managing demand and could help Heathrow’s meet air quality limits and reduce traffic impact on local roads.
Mr Matthews, who will be replaced by current development director John Holland-Kaye when he steps down on July 1, said: “We are committed to treating those most affected by a third runway fairly.
“Since the previous runway plan was rejected in 2010 we have listened to ideas for how we could improve our proposals. People have told us that we should provide more generous compensation and go further in insulating homes against noise.
“We recognise that the expansion of Heathrow deserves an exceptional compensation scheme. That’s why we’re going further than statutory schemes or Government guidance. People will receive fair compensation in the event that Heathrow expansion goes ahead.”