The 600th anniversary of Syon Abbey, described as the last great medieval abbey in England, will be marked with a procession and special service this month.
The Archbishop of Westminster Cardinal Vincent Nichols will lead a parade on Sunday, July 19, from St Bridget's Church in Twickenham Road, Isleworth, to Syon House, in Brentford , where the once famous monastery stood.
An ecumenical service will take place there, hosted by the Duke of Northumberland, with free access to Syon Park for those wishing to attend.
The procession will leave St Bridget's at 1.45pm and the service will start at 3pm. The site will be open from 2pm-5pm, with music from 2.15pm.
The anniversary will also be celebrated with a special mass at St Bridget's on Thursday, July 23, at 7pm, followed by a medieval music recital from 8pm. There will be guided tours of the church during the week, from 11.30am to 2.30pm each day.
Syon Abbey, the archaeological remains of which lie beside and partly beneath Syon House, was founded by Henry V in 1415. It is described by organisers of the anniversary celebrations as having been 'the last great medieval abbey in England'.
The Bridgettine abbey was a noted centre of religious scholarship and major site of pilgrimmage. A visit by the Time Team television crew in 2003 revealed the chapel was likely to have been comparable in size to Salisbury Cathedral.
The monastery was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1539, after which the buildings were destroyed, but the three remaining sisters of Syon have maintained their traditions.
Following the abbey's dissolution, the estate was left to the Crown and then given to the Duke of Somerset, who built Syon House and Gardens.
It fell into the possession of Henry Percy, Duke of Northumberland, in 1594 and has been run by the family ever since.
The 600th anniversary celebrations have been jointly organised by Syon Park and St Bridget's, and are part of the Inspiring Isleworth calendar of events.
For more information, visit www.SyonAbbey600.org.uk