A couple have been left feeling ‘foolish’ after their dog narrowly escaped death when he chewed his way through an entire packet of herbal sleeping pills.
Jason and Katherine Steadman, from Parsons Green, are now warning other dog owners to take extra care when leaving medicine out around the house.
In the run up to Christmas, they have also expressed the danger of leaving chocolate out for dogs to find, as it is poisonous to them.
Gumbo, a two-and-a-half year old puggle, ate more than three times the lethal dose of sleeping pills in November.
When his owners returned, they found him almost lifeless and barely breathing on the sofa.
Mr Steadman rushed him to the Goddard Veterinary Group, in Kings Road, Fulham, and he was later taken to the Stone Lion Veterinary Hospital in Wimbledon because of the seriousness of his condition.
Mrs Steadman said: “We were devastated and felt so foolish. Gumbo is our baby and has a strong, positive influence on our lives as my husband is battling colon cancer. Gumbo never leaves his side during his chemotherapy sessions.
“We don’t want other owners to have to go through this. We urge them to keep anything that could be harmful well out of their reach.”
Roger Bralow, head vet at the Stone Lion, added: “Gumbo very nearly didn’t make it. His mishap highlights the risks to pets of products which may seem innocuous.
“Luckily, because the Steadmans got him to us quickly, we were able get started on treatment quickly and we’re delighted he has recovered so well.”