UNATTENDED cooking is believed to have caused a kitchen fire in a property on the Stonebridge Park estate on Sunday from which two occupants had to be saved.
Paramedics treated the pair, a 37-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman, for smoke inhalation after they had been woken by firefighters and escorted out of the home on the first floor of a four-storey block of flats in Johnson Road.
The blaze broke out just before 9pm on Sunday and the 10 firefighters from Willesden and Park Royal stations managed to get the flames under control within half an hour.
Park Royal white watch manager Keith Counsins said: "Our crews worked hard to contain the fire within the kitchen area and managed to prevent it from spreading to the neighbouring flats.
"Kitchen fires are often caused by cooking that has been left unattended so it’s crucial never to leave your cooking unattended, even for a moment."
The exact cause of the fire, which left the kitchen partly damaged, is still under investigation although it is believed to be a stewing pot on the hob of the gas cooker.