A POST-MORTEM has revealed that swine flu was not the direct cause of six-year-old Chloe Buckley's death.
Despite having the virus, the examination, which was carried out at Uxbridge Coroner's Court last Tuesday has revealed that the West Drayton schoolgirl in fact died of septic shock from a tonsillitis infection.
In a statement released yesterday (Tuesday), Dr Simon Tanner, regional director of public health for London, said: "Following the death of six-year-old Chloe Buckley on July 9, the West London Coroner has determined that she died of natural causes.
"A post-mortem examination has concluded that Chloe died of septic shock from of a tonsillitis infection caused by the streptococcus A bacterium. Chloe was also found to have the swine flu H1N1 virus. It is not possible to say to what degree swine flu contributed to her death.
"We would once again like to extend our deepest condolences to Chloe's family at this difficult time and ask that the media respect their wishes to be allowed to come to terms with their loss in private."
Chloe, who lived with her two brothers and her parents in Napier Close, West Drayton, died after being rushed to St Mary's Hospital in Paddington.
Her parents released a short statement last Tuesday which read: "We are obviously very distressed at the loss of our fun-loving baby girl. Nothing can replace her in our lives.
"We are satisfied the medical care Chloe received at all times was appropriate, and we are disappointed with the stories that have been printed that suggest otherwise."
The couple also asked people to respect their right to deal with their loss 'in private and without further intrusion'.
Last Monday, Hillingdon Council took the decision to close Chloe's school, St Catherine's RC Primary School, in Money Lane, West Drayton, for the last week of term.
Sara Benn, headteacher at the school, said: "It is impossible to put in to words the sorrow that the whole school feels in such tragic circumstances.
"Chloe was a bright and tenacious student with a keen interest in sports. She will be missed by her fellow pupils and her teachers at the school. Our thoughts are with her parents and family at this time.
"We are working with the council and health authority to support parents and pupils dealing with this devastating news."