SURE Start campaigners are taking their fight to keep children's centres open in Hammersmith and Fulham to the High Court.
Parents have worked tirelessly to block council plans to implement a new 'hub and spoke' model to Sure Start Centres amid £3.2m savings from their children's services budget.
It will see six centres – Old Oak, Randolph Beresford, Masbro, Flora Gardens, Melcombe and Fulham Central - become 'hubs' and see their funding cut from £455,000 to £336,000 a year.
The other 10 'spokes' – Broadway, Shepherd's Bush, Wendell Park, Rouzanna, Normand Croft, Avonmore, Bishops Park, New King's and Sands End - seeing their yearly cash slashed down to just £25,000 a year.
H&F Parents Unite claimed this will see them shut down and leave vulnerable children and desperate parents without vital help but they were voted through by H&F Council cabinet members at a fiery meeting in April.
But parents believe a lack of democratic process and flawed public consultations will lead to a reverse of the decision in the High Court.
They have instructed law firm Leigh Day & Co to file legal papers for their fight and accuse the council of breaking the Children's Act 2006.
The Act requires any local authority to consult before closing any existing children's centre.
Richard Stein and Rosa Curling, Leigh Day & Co, who are launching a similar case against Hampshire County Council, said: "Local authorities have a clear duty under the Childcare Act 2006 to consult with parents and other stakeholders about their changes to children’s centres.
"These consultations must comply with long-standing principles. Unfortunately, neither Hampshire nor H&F Council complied with their legal duties and we have been forced to bring these actions on behalf of our clients, despite our attempts to avoid litigation.
"We are, however, pleased to be representing the interests of parents and young children who attend children's centres in Hampshire and H&F who stand to benefit should our clients' cases succeed."
Their case is based on H&F Council approving their children's services funding cuts during a budget meeting on February 23.
It then announced a public consultation after widespread anger on the new Sure Start model which ran until February 28 and was approved on April 18.
Leigh & Day Co insist the budget decision rendered the consultation irrelevant and the decision illegal.
H&F Unite's Ruth Walsh told the Chronicle she was confident the case could be successful but would not comment further to avoid jeopardising any hearing.
MP Andy Slaughter said: "The council's decision to cut Sure Start provisions by more than anywhere else in the country has been met with complete opposition.
"We have gone through the democratic process and they have refused to listen to overwhelming objections. Therefore, as we promised, the next stage is to take them to court and get this dishonest and incompetent decision overturned."
A spokeswoman for H&F Council said: "We are vigorously contesting all points raised but it will take some time before a decision is made as to whether there is a case for us to answer."
H&F Council will also have to defend Shepherd's Bush Market regeneration plans in the High Court after threatened Goldhawk Road traders won the right to have their case heard last week.