MORE than £1million worth of improvements have been rolled out for retailers in Southall town centre.

New shop fronts and footpaths have been installed as part of a regeneration programme led by Ealing Council.

The scheme also includes a deep clean of existing pavements, making the area more attractive in the hope of bringing in more shoppers.

Julian Bell, council leader, said: "It's very important in these tough times that we give the local community as much support as we can.

"This funding has been put to great use. The shop fronts have given Southall town centre a much-needed facelift and I know the owners are delighted with the end product, and the support we have given them."

Six businesses have benefited from the shop front facelift and there are plans to include another 19 retailers in the scheme before March 2011.

Ammit Rudki, owner of Century Emporium in Southall Broadway, said: "The new shop front gives our business a classy West End look and we've had a lot of positive feedback from customers who have stopped and mentioned how

great our shop looks. The project will assist in having a positive effect on the rest of the Broadway and the surrounding area."

As part of the scheme, businesses must apply for funding from the council to improve their shop front. Ealing will supply 90 per cent of cost, with the remaining 10 per cent coming from the retailer.