A dazzling mass of white pillars and right angles topped by flags, the building is grand and venerable and a reminder of a high point in the history of the Hoover Company.
The company itself was originally based in the United States in North Canton, Ohio.
As its pioneering electric vacuum cleaners gained popularity overseas it was clear the company needed to set up a major base in the United Kingdom, and so it came to Perivale.
The building was designed in 1932 by the celebrated architectural practice, Wallis, Gilbert & Partners - the same firm that designed the Firestone Tyre Factory in Brentford and Victoria coach station in central London.
All of their designs were prime examples of the Art Deco school, the same movement that gave birth to the Chrysler building in New York.
The Hoover Building, then, was the company's main manufacturing plant, and it employed 600 staff in its offices and on the factory floor.
A series of extensions would be added to the main building over the years, but to begin with the primary part of the building served as its main office.
Soon after the first part was built, plans were drawn up for a manufacturing plant to the east of the main building, which was fully operational by 1933.
As demand for Hoover vacuum cleaners began to grow, more additions were made to the building. A two-storey extension was added to the manufacturing plant and another factory was built behind the original building. In the late 1930s, a canteen and recreation centre were completed to the west of the site.
By 1939, however, Britain was headed for the Second World War and the need to clean floors took second place to the war effort, so the factory began to crank out equipment for aircraft and tanks, with employees working in shifts to keep it operating 24 hours a day.
All this made the site a prime target for bombing by German aircraft, so the building was repainted and covered with netting to camouflage it.
A lookout post was installed on the roof to keep an eye out for the Luftwaffe, and it was reportedly manned by Hoover sales staff who were too old for active service.
The Hoover Company also set up an evacuation scheme for the children of staff at the site, who were sent to Canada to live with company employees and their families.
After the war, which the building survived, another extension was added - a five-storey building to the north of the site.
A new production facility was set up elsewhere in Scotland at Cambuslang, a suburban town on the outskirts of Glasgow. Hoover continued to produce vacuum cleaners in Perivale until the 1980s, when production was moved to Cambuslang.
The office at the Hoover Building remained open for several years but was eventually closed, and there were fears for the building's future when the Firestone Building on the A4 in west London, another Art Deco building, was demolished on a bank holiday weekend in 1980 just days from being given listed status.
Luckily, the main Hoover building and the canteen were preserved, thanks to being Grade II listed the same year.
Still, the building sat empty for many years, gradually falling into a state of disrepair until an unlikely saviour appeared.
In 1989, Tesco bought the Hoover Building, along with several buildings that backed on to the site, and set about building a new superstore.
Work began in 1991 and involved demolishing two of the extensions built in the 1930s. Developers worked closely with English Heritage to ensure the new supermarket would be in keeping with the building's character, to the extent that the entrance to the superstore, at the rear of the site, mirrored the front.
In November 1992, the new supermarket opened for business. The front of the Hoover Building, however, was still out of use but it got a major refurbishment in 1997, preserving all the original Art Deco features. At the time of writing, it is available to let as office space.
Motorists are also used to the familiar sight of the building glowing an eerie shade of green at night when the lights out front are shone on to it.
The building may be a world away from its industrial origins, but it still sits proudly in Perivale, and will remain there for years to come. **Visit www.hooverbuilding.co.uk for more information.