This website uses cookies. Using this website means you are okay with this but you can find out more and learn how to manage your cookie choices here.

Parsons Green terror attack: Live updates as station re-opens after threat level raised to 'critical'

The District Line reported a 'good service' 24 hours after the terror attack

Commuters were fleeing in panic at Parsons Green on Friday (September 15) morning after reports of an explosion on a District Line Tube train.

There are currently no District Line between Earls Court and Wimbledon due to the "security alert".

The Metropolitan Police has confirmed it is treating the incident as terrorism.

We will be bringing you all the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story as it develops.

For all the latest news and breaking news, visit our news section , or follow us on Facebook or Twitter .

Keep up to date with the latest news from west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see news and events from your area, and receive notifications for any breaking news.

It's available to download, for free, from the App Store or Google Play for Android .

We're live blogging from the scene at Sunbury

Our reporter, Max, is on his way to the scene in Cavendish Road, Sunbury-on-Thames.

Click here to follow live updates as we get them.

Image from scene shows police presence

Armed raid in Sunbury-on-Thames on Saturday (September 16)(Image: Steph Forsyth?)

Police evacuated and are searching a property in Sunbury

Police officers revealed they have evacuated and are searching a residential address in Sunbury, Surrey.

The evacuation is a precautionary measure following the arrest of a man in Dover, Kent, at around 7.50am this morning in connection with the investigation into the terrorist attack at Parsons Green Underground Station.

Officers began evacuating the address at approximately 1.40pm today.

Residents in the buildings immediately surrounding the address are also being evacuated as a precautionary measure.

Cordons are being put in place at a 100 metre radius to facilitate the Metropolitan Police Service’s operation, which is being supported by colleagues from Surrey Police.

A search of the address is ongoing and the cordons will remain in place until the operation is complete.

Police would like to thank the local residents directly affected for their cooperation and patience. Local officers are on duty in the immediate area to talk to the community and address any concerns that they may have.

No further arrests have been made.

Armed police operation in Sunbury-on-Thames

An armed police operation is under way in Surrey following the Parsons Green bombing.

Sources say the operation in Sunbury-on-Thames is by officers investigating the terror attack.

Watch Met Commissioner Cressida Dick on her Southbank patrols

Commissioner joins South Bank patrol

Officers patrolling London’s streets were joined by Met Commissioner Cressida Dick following the terrorist bombing.

The Commissioner travelled by tube to Waterloo Station and patrolled along the South Bank, as the Met’s visible presence was increased following the attack yesterday morning at Parsons Green.

She said the Force is “pleased” about the significant arrest this morning and said Londoners should remain vigilant.

“Yesterday we saw a cowardly and indiscriminate attack which could have resulted in many lives being lost. Again we saw a quick response from all the emergency services and transport staff.

“Since then, we have had teams of detectives and specialists working through the night on the investigation and officers throughout London mobilising and providing an increased visible police presence – especially in crowded places.

“Last night I visited the scene of the attack and our operations room and saw first-hand the complex and professional job carried out by our experts on the ground.

“London has not stopped after other terrible attacks and it will not stop after this one.

“Officers and staff from throughout the Met have been called in to provide extra shifts and yet again I am hugely proud of their response. We are pleased that there has been a significant arrest this morning but the investigation continues and updates on this will be provided as we are able to.

“I have joined officers out in central London today, meeting Londoners and visitors. It is a simple message, but a powerful one, to see London getting on with its business enjoying the weekend and everything the city has to offer.

“You can help us by remaining vigilant and letting us know if you have any concerns.”

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick (centre) joins officers on patrol (Image: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire)

Armed police seen up and down the country

Both armed police and soldiers are on duty in Whitehall.

An armed police officer and soldier on duty at the entrance to Horse Guards in Whitehall(Image: PA)

(Image: PA)

And armed police were even seen at a Food Festival in Liverpool

Armed police officers at the Liverpool Food & Drink Festival at Sefton Park in Liverpool(Image: PA)

Security minister suggests CCTV images of bomber should be released

Security minister Ben Wallace suggested CCTV images of the bomber could be released as part of the manhunt for those responsible, but Scotland Yard subsequently denied there were any plans to do so.

Security Minister Ben Wallace who has said that tech giants "can do more" to tackle extremism online following the Parsons Green bombing(Image: PA)

Tech giants “can do more” to tackle extremism online following the Parsons Green bombing, the Security Minister has said.

Concerns over the availability of terrorist and bomb-making material on the internet have been reignited after the UK was targeted by its fifth terror attack of the year.

MP Ben Wallace said the Government would continue to “put pressure” on companies to invest in technology which could quicken the take down of terrorist material. Mr Wallace told Sky News:

“We are constantly trying to build that pressure, explaining to them that we think that they can do more and where we need to, we get tougher on them.

“They cannot be removed from some of the responsibility they carry and we think there is technology out there that could make these take downs quicker.”

He added: “It is a 21st century phenomena. We have to deal with it. On the internet people can learn how to make bombs, they can learn how to use weapons.”

Metropolitan Police have made an arrest at Dover Port

Detectives investigating the terrorist attack have made an arrest in connection with the investigation.

An 18-year-old man was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover this morning, Saturday, (September 16), under section 41 of the Terrorism Act.

The man remains in custody at a local police station. He will be transferred to a south London police station in due course.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, Senior National Co-ordinator for Counter Terrorism Policing, said:

“We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning. Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical.

“The public should remain vigilant as our staff, officers and partners continue to work through this complex investigation. We are not, at this time, changing our protective security measures and the steps taken to free up extra armed officers remain in place.

“This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers. For strong investigative reasons we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage.”

Detectives from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command are continuing to urge anyone with information about the terrorist attack to contact police.

British Transport Police release statement in light of critical terror threat

British Transport Police will also have more officers than usual patrolling at stations, as well as on trains across the country.

Assistant Chief Constable Alun Thomas, head of Specialist Operations at BTP, said:

“Now that the threat level has increased, we will be deploying a number of additional officers throughout the national rail network.

“Our officers have been given specialist training in counter terrorism policing – including behavioural awareness skills.

“This means that their day-to-day policing role is keenly focused on keeping passengers and staff as safe as possible.

“Over the coming days, we’ll be keeping a close eye to keep you safe, as well as making sure the nation’s railways keep functioning as usual.

“Everyone should remain calm, but vigilant. Rail passengers and staff are the eyes and ears of the network and we want to hear from you if you see something that doesn’t look right.

“Nothing should be considered too small or insignificant, it may be vitally important to us.

“Throughout England, Scotland and Wales, my officers will be highly visible and there to reassure you as you go about your weekend.”

Parsons Green station is open this morning with 'good service'

We’re back this morning (Saturday September 16) bringing you all the latest updates following yesterday’s terrorist incident.

Parson’s Green Underground Station is up and running, 24 hours after the explosion which caused multiple injuries.

What we know so far...

There was an explosion at Parsons Green tube station during the morning rush hour.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing “a bag, a flash and a bang” as passengers fled the tube station.

Scotland Yard declared the incident as an act of terrorism. MI5 has been brought in to support an ongoing investigation

Police said the explosion was caused by an “improvised explosive device.”

NHS England said 29 patients were treated in hospitals across London.

A larger police presence will be seen on the capital’s streets and transport network over the weekend.

Parsons Green Lane remains closed while police investigation works are carried out.

The District Line remains closed between Earl’s Court and Wimbledon for the entire day.

Police urge anyone with photos or video to upload the media content to

Anyone with information that would assist detectives is urged to contact the hotline 0800 789 321. In an emergency always call 999.

Police stop man with knife in another tube incident

Acton Central Police stopped a man with a knife on the tube at Acton Town on the Piccadilly line after a concerned call from a member of public

Police said the description was so good and detailed by the person who called 999 there was no doubt they had the right person.

Officers apologies as the incident caused delays on the tube and said “most people will realise this could not be ignored.”

There are severe delays on the Piccadilly line between Acton Town and Heathrow / Uxbridge, with minor delays on the rest of the line.

Road closure update

Parsons Green Lane remains closed in both directions while police continue with their investigation.

Fulham road re-opened just after 2pm followed by Kings Road just after 3pm.

In pictures: Emergency services respond to terror incident

Here are some photos taken over the course of the day after an explosion at Parsons Green tube station during the morning rush hour.

Images are courtesy of PA.

Armed officers on patrol

British Transport Police said its armed officers will be patrolling across the rail network following the Parsons Green incident.

Act of kindness in a time of need

Staff at Italian restaurant Il Pagliaccio in Fulham and White Horse pub on Parsons Green have been thanked for keeping people fed and watered during today’s incident.

Residents escorted home

Residents have been escorted back home by police officers in Parsons Green.

However the cordon remains in place around tube station.

The advice from H&F Council is to avoid the Fulham area.

Security update for Stamford Bridge

Most of Stamford Bridge will remain closed until Sunday (September 17) morning following the terrorist incident at Parsons Green.

Extra security measures will be in place for the match between Chelsea FC and Arsenal on Sunday and fans are urged to arrive at least one hour before kick-off.

Supports are asked NOT to bring BAGS.

The full statement on the Chelsea FC website says:

The safety of all fans and visitors to Stamford Bridge is of paramount importance to the club.

Following Friday morning’s incident at Parsons Green, and in order to help us fully prepare for the game, the majority of the Stamford Bridge site will remain closed until Sunday morning.

This includes Stadium Tours, the Museum, Megastore and the Chelsea Health Club & Spa, while the ticket office will be operating via telephone and online only.

During that time, entrance to the site will be via the Stamford Gate entrance only.

On Sunday, we urge supporters to arrive at least one hour before kick-off to allow for extra security measures. We also request that supporters do not bring bags as this will delay your entry to the stadium.

The club continues to monitor events and liaise with the police and relevant authorities on supporter safety.”

Statement from West London Islamic Cultural Centre

The West London Islamic Cultural Centre (WLIC) said a statement:

The WLIC’S thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by today’s terror attack on the London Underground at Parson’s Green.

The WLICC stands united with London today. We strongly condemn this horrific attack on innocent people who were travelling across London.

We will continue to work with community groups, the government, the police and other concerned authorities to unite communities and ensure that London is a safe place for everyone.”

29 people treated in hospitals

At least 29 people have no been treated in hospitals across London following this morning’s terrorist attack at Parsons Green, NHS England said.

The hospitals included Parsons Green are Imperial, Chelsea and Westminster, Guy’s and St Thomas’ and St George’s.

The London Ambulance Service took 19 of these patients to hospital.

The others presented themselves at hospitals.

Of these 21 people are still being treated in hospital while the remainder have been discharged.

However patients from Central London Community Healthcare Walk In Centre were later admitted to hospitals, so the total number of patients remains at 29, NHS England said.

Image from the scene

Here is an image where you can make out Parsons Green tube station in the distance.

Parson Green tube station in the distance - where a terror attack took place on Friday (September 15)(Image: Shona Duthie (TMS))

Talking to H&F council leader Stephen Cowan

Our reporter Shona was at the scene talking to Hammersmith and Fulham council leader about the Parsons Green terrorist incident.

Here is what he had to say:

'Another senseless attack' says Hounslow Council Leader Steve Curran

Councillor Steve Curran, Leader of Hounslow Council said:

Following the terror attack in Parsons Green today (Friday, September 15), we would like to express our deepest sympathy on behalf of everyone in the borough, to the family and friends of all those injured.

This is another senseless attack in London, but we must all stand together as one community in the face of adversity.

We encourage all our staff and residents to remain vigilant and calm. We are being advised that tube and rail passengers and people who use the tube and railway stations to help keep themselves and others safe by reporting unusual items or activity on the tube or railway network.

If you see something that doesn’t feel right, you should tell a member of rail staff or a police officer what you have seen. You can use the anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321, or in an emergency, always call 999.”

Police cordon 'lifted' near scene

Our reporter, Shona, who is at the scene, was able to get closer:

Hounslow police release a statement after the incident

Chief Inspector Wayne Matthews, spoke on behalf of Hounslow Police in relation to the incident at Parsons Green.

Wayne Matthews, Neighbourhood Chief Inspector for Hounslow Borough Police(Image: Hounslow)

“Hounslow Police have increased the numbers of officers on the streets and the public will see an enhanced presence at train stations and other transport hubs in addition to other locations which have a huge footfall of public.

“The officers are there to protect the public and no one should be alarmed at their presence.

“We urge the public to remain calm but alert and if you have any concerns, see or hear anything suspicious then contact police.”

Victims are being treated at three different hospitals

The victims of the atrocity are being treated at three separate hospitals in London

Natasha Wills, assistant director of operations at London Ambulance Service, said:

“Following the incident at Parsons Green this morning, we can confirm that we treated a total of 19 patients – mostly for minor injuries – and took them to three London hospitals: St Mary’s, St Thomas’ and the Chelsea and Westminster.

“We sent a number of ambulance crews to the scene as well as our hazardous area response team and incident response officers.

“They were supported by a dedicated team in our incident control room. We arrived on scene in five minutes of the first 999 call and worked closely with our colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London Fire Brigade making sure patients received the medical help they needed as quickly as possible.

“As always, we would encourage anyone with urgent health care needs to call NHS111 in the first instance so we are available to respond to life threatening emergencies across the capital.”

Update from St Thomas' Hospital

St Thomas’ Hospital has discharged all patients sent to be treated following the Parsons Green terror attack.

All 8 patients treated at St Thomas’ Hospital after today’s incident at Parsons Green have been treated and safely discharged.”

'Butt out' - H&F council leader tells US President

Hammersmith and Fulham council leader Stephen Cowan has responded to comments made by President Trump about Scotland Yard.

He has told Donald Trump to “butt out” after his tweet on the terror attack in Parsons Green.

South Western Railway

People wishing to travel to Wimbledon or Putney are being advised to use South Western Railway from London Waterloo, where London Underground tickets are being accepted.

Elsewhere, London Underground tickets are being accepted on bus services too.

Some movement from police officers

Reporter Shona Duthie who is at the scene in Parsons Green has recorded this video showing some movement from police officers.

Tickets accepted on buses

Transport for London has said London Underground tickets are being accepted on buses following the Parsons Green incident.

Commuters are reminded that there is no district line service between Earl’s Court and Wimbledon for the rest of the day.

'It felt like an eternity'

Ryan Barnett, 25, said that one victim of the Parsons Green bombing had her leg “pretty badly cut up”.

Speaking to the Press Association, he said:

Someone said there had been an explosion, there was white stuff, someone said there was a lot of wires, one girl outside the station had her leg pretty badly cut up.

People were saying there was one man who was singed down the side of his body, including his hair.

It felt like an eternity, but it was only a couple of minutes, probably.

There were a lot of people taking photos, there was a couple of people taking selfies and I thought: ‘What is the world coming to?’

Major incident resolved at hospital

Chelsea and Westminster Hospital received 14 patients after the Parsons Green bombing.

The major incident which was declared at the hospital resolved at 1pm.

Some patients at the hospital were treated at the burns unit.

Road reopens in the area

Evacuation begins

Foodbank supports community

Foodbank opens for longer to support victims in aftermath of this morning’s bombing.

Enhanced presence at train stations

Hounslow’s Chief Superintendent Raj Kohli said there will be an “enhanced presence at train stations and other transport hubs”.

He has reiterated people should remain “calm but alert” following the terrifying morning rush hour incident.

For more of the chief superintendent’s statement, check out our article.

Met Police statement

A Met Police spokesman has said a 50-meter radius surrounding Parsons Green tube station has been evacuated.

The Force has a cordon in place while emergency services investigate the IED detonation this morning.

The area surrounding Parsons Green tube station has been evacuated whilst emergency services continue to work at the scene of this morning’s incident.

The evacuation has been necessary whilst specialist officers secure the remnants of the improvised device and ensure it is stable.

A small number of residents will be affected by the evacuation, which encompasses an area approximately 50 metres in radius. Parsons Green tube remains closed and the public are advised to continue to avoid the area.

We are working hard with partners and the local community to minimise any disruption and would like to thank the public for their continued understanding and assistance at this time.

Parsons Green incident in London(Image: Alex Littlefield )

Suspect reportedly identified

Security sources have said they’ve identified a suspect involved in the Parsons Green bombing, a reporter from Sky suggests.

They have reportedly made the identification with the aid of CCTV footage.

"An attempt by evil and cowardly terrorists"

Helicopters over Parsons Green

Helicopter presence remains strong in the area.

'By working together, we will defeat them'

Speaking to the BBC, Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed the threat level remains at severe.

Clearly, this was a device that was intended to cause significant harm and 22 people have been injured.

Our thoughts are with all those who have been affected by this attack.

The police and security services are doing all the work to discover the circumstances of this cowardly attack and to identify those responsible.

The threat level remains at severe, that means a terrorist attack is highly likely, but this will be kept under review as the investigation progresses.

The threat of terrorism that we face is severe, but by working together, we will defeat them.

Roads reopen

Roads reopen following Parsons Green explosion this morning.

There are still disruptions to the District Line and Met Police have warned commuters to check before travelling.

Plan alternative routes

For District Line commuters, you can plan alternative routes here ahead of your journeys home.

Community unites for Parsons Green

Tea, toilets and phone chargers are being offered to those affected by the terrorist incident today.

Traffic returns to normal

Traffic has started returning to normal in the area but road closures are still being enforced by police cordons.

Harrow fire keeps commuters at bay

Jack Bullifent, of Tring, narrowly managed to avoid the explosion on the packed Tube train.

When commuting into the capital this morning, his train was cancelled due to the huge fire which tore through a Harrow warehouse.

Mr Bullifent spoke to getwestlondon and said he usually would be on the District Line at the time the IED detonated.

I normally get the train around that time depending on if I’m early or running late.

It feels horrible to even think about being in the same train and I don’t even want to think about what would of happened if I was near it but it’s something that you don’t expect to happen to you.

Luckily I was one of the lucky ones

Pizza handed out to emergency services

An Italian restaurant local to Parsons Green station, named Il Pagliaccio, is handing out free pizza to emergency service officers.

Deborah Lewis posted on twitter: “Local restaurant Il Pagliaccio gives away free pizza and water to police and emergency services. True spirit!”

22 people treated for injuries

An updated statement from London Ambulance Service suggests 19 people have been treated in hospital.

That does not include the people who took themselves to hospital.

A spokesman said the people being treated are “mostly with minor injuries”.

View full mobile page