A PENSIONER has praised the kindness of the emergency services who came to her aid after her microwave exploded.
Charlotte McLean, who lives off Eastcote Lane, Northolt, thanked police and firefighters after the frightening incident last week.
The 89-year-old placed a ready meal into the small cooker when she heard a bang which cut out her electricity.
Startled, Charlotte first tried calling social services for help. But after reaching a dead end she turned to the emergency services who quickly arrived.
“I didn’t want to annoy them but I phoned 999. The young lady who answered was really, really helpful. She alerted the fire brigade and police who were both fantastic honest to goodness. When you’re on the receiving end you suddenly realise what a god-send those services are.”
The firefighters checked to see the microwave was no longer a fire hazard and installed smoke alarms, while good-hearted bobbies drove Charlotte to the shops to buy a replacement microwave.
The grateful pensioner continued: “Because I have no other cooking facilities, the police took me to Currys and I bought a new microwave. I would’ve been stuck otherwise. I paid for it but they helped me pick a suitable one which wasn’t too complicated and something I could remember to use.
“I felt hopeless and very panicked. When you get older, things might seem more dramatic than they
are to other people and when you ask for help people think you don’t need it. So I’m so grateful to the services. I think they’re absolutely fantastic.”
Councillor Eileen Harris, who Charlotte contacted next, added: “I thought it was so nice of them to help an 89-year-old like that.”