TOP police officers have moved to reassure a community fearful of more attacks following the fatal 'revenge' shooting of Anthony Otton.
Borough commander Kevin Hurley promised extra officers to patrol the Fulham Court estate, where the 28-year-old was gunned down on a communal balcony on June 4, at a meeting called to address concerns in St Dionis Church in Fulham on Tuesday.
An offer of armed patrols was rejected amid fears that they would add to feelings of insecurity on the estate, which residents say is plagued with nightly trouble from gangs.
Detectives used the meeting to urge people to come forward with any photographs or video footage of the aftermath of the shooting taken on mobile phones.
Three people have so far been arrested in connection with Mr Otton's killing, which followed the funeral of fellow Fulham Court resident Darcy Bruce, 20, who was shot outside Wandsworth prison on May 1.
Detective Chief Inspector Howard Groves said, leading the investigation, said: "I'll be honest and say that the investigating team will be in this for the long haul. It's not going to be something that's solved in five minutes.
"The community will need to be patient with us and needs to support us.
"Come forward with anything you have. You may think it's not relevant but it may the little bit we need to be able to open up this can of worms."
Kit Malthouse, the deputy mayor of London for policing, told the meeting that the shooting was an "awful shock", but was "not the story" of Hammersmith and Fulham, which has seen one of the biggest drops in violent crime of any London borough.
He said: "Part of the reason for me coming down tonight is to make sure the borough commander is doing a good job, and I'm reassured by what chief superintendent Hurley is saying about extra patrols on the estate.
"I have every confidence that this will be brought through to a successful conclusion."
Up to 60 new CCTV cameras are now being installed around Fulham Court at a cost of £188,000.
They will be monitored at Hammersmith Town Hall 24 hours a day and should be up and running within the next two months.
But residents say not enough has been done to protect innocent people living on the estate, many of who are too scared to give evidence.
Nike Ansere, 24, said: "The majority of Fulham Court residents are decent people, but there's a minority who are vicious idiots and make your life hell.
"Live there for just one day and you'll feel what we have to go through every single day."
Another female resident, who asked not to be named, said: "I do not want to be living in there any more. I've been saying for years that this is going to happen - they're running around killing each other, and I do not want my son to be among them."