THREE food businesses in Southall have had to pay up after hygiene inspectors uncovered revolting conditions.
Peri Peri Original, at 96 The Green, Southall was closed by food safety officers after discovering mouse droppings and an infestation of cockroaches.
There was a lack of cleaning throughout the premises with a build-up of grease, mouse droppings and food debris found on many surfaces. Staff on the premises had not been trained in food hygiene and were not following basic good hygiene practices.
A representative from Peri Peri Original appeared at Ealing Magistrates’ Court on Thursday July 4 to plead guilty to five offences under the Food Hygiene Regulations Act. The company was ordered to pay £2,500 in fines and £1,446 towards the council’s costs.
Officers also closed Salama Café Restaurant, at 98 The Green following an inspection on June 24. Mouse droppings were found in the dining and kitchen areas.
The business remained closed until Friday, July 5 when officers were satisfied that extensive cleaning and pest control had taken place. On July 4 the court ratified the food safety officers’ decision to close the café and ordered the company to pay £778 towards the council’s costs.
Ealing Magistrates’ Court also ratified the food hygiene officers’ decision to serve Shahi Nan Kebab at Station Bridge, South Road with a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice.
This means the business will not be allowed to cut, marinate and assemble raw meat kebabs at the premises as it poses a high risk of cross contamination with ready-to-eat foods such as salads due to the particularly small size of the premises.
The business is allowed to bring raw meat, kebabs and doners from another shop, already assembled, to store and cook in this shop. The court ordered the company to pay £654 towards the council’s costs.
Leader of the council, councillor Julian Bell said: "These are great results and show just how much work is being done to improve the food businesses operating in our borough.
"We will continue to offer training and advice to businesses that need it and take action where improvements are not being made. Poor hygiene and a blatant disregard for food safety can make people eating that food seriously ill or worse and this is just not acceptable."