A SPECIAL meeting about whether a school must sack 25 staff and lower pupil numbers, which was due to take place on Wednesday (9), has now been cancelled.
The Gazette reported last week how a decision had been delayed on whether St John's School, in Potter Street, Northwood Hills, would be forced to make the cut backs, after breaching planning guidelines.
The school was granted permission in 2001 to build a single-storey extension for an extra classroom and assembly area with a library for the prep school, together with a first-aid room and staff toilet.
As part of the agreement, the school was told it could only house 350 students and 40 full time staff.
But for at least five years, there have been 405 children and 65 staff, sparking complaints from residents about traffic flow in the area, as well as 'intensifying use of Green Belt land', on which the school sits.
The fee-paying school applied for retrospective planning permission last May, which was rejected.
An appeal has been lodged against the decision and a date has yet to be set for the hearing.
However, the school had also submitted an amended version of its original plans for retrospective planning permission, which were due to be discussed at the special meeting.
This has now been withdrawn, hence the cancellation of the meeting.
Bursar for St John's School, Nigel Stone, told the Gazette: "We thought it would be more considered and appropriate for the matter to be dealt with by the planning inspectorate.
"We believe we have a strong case and look forward to the outcome of the hearing."
What do you think? Email Gazette reporter Siba Matti at email@example.com or post a comment at http://northwood.uxbridgegazette.co.uk