A retired builder who died after falling down steep stairs was treated as a 'low priority' by emergency services after a tragic misunderstanding.
Karnail Singh, 55, was found slumped at the bottom of the staircase by two tenants who shared the property in King Street, Southall.
The father-of-two had injuries to his eye and a nose bleed and the men carried him back to bed, unaware he had a brain haemorrhage and severe internal injuries.
They called the ambulance service giving details of his nose bleed, but it was only when he was taken to Ealing Hospital that the extent of his injuries were apparent.
Miss Shah, a consultant at the hospital said he was in a very bad way.
She said: "He couldn't breath alone. The situation was irreparable and there was nothing we could do to improve his condition except make him comfortable."
Mr Singh died on May 10, 2007 from his injuries. A police investigation into the death followed.
Detective Inspector James McEvoy, of Southall Police Station, said they found an empty alcohol bottle in Mr Singh's room, and witnesses said he was known for his lifestyle of drinking.
Mr McEvoy said: "We found an empty bottle of alcohol in his room and witnesses said they saw the deceased come of the toilet at 1:30pm.
"They heard a noise about 2:30pm and went down later and found him lying on his back with an injury to his eye."
At the time of admission to hospital Mr Singh had a large quantity of alcohol in his blood, and the coroner told the court the contributing factor to his death was alcoholic intoxication.
But distant relative, Gurdial Singh, 30, said his uncle was not an alcoholic and blamed the 'greasy, steep stairs' for his death.
Mr Singh, who lives in Kensington, said: "My uncle was a gentle person and he was not someone who drank a lot.
"Someone else died in the same place because the staircase is so greasy and steep, and he probably lost his balance and slipped.
"I have walked up the stairs and it's not fit for humans, and something should be done to stop others falling down and hurting themselves."
The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.