THE Government’s Heathrow policy is in tatters this morning (Friday) after the High Court ruled that ministers' decision to give a green light to the proposed third runway does not hold any weight.
The judge dismissed the Government’s claims to the contrary as ‘untenable in law and common sense’.
If the Government wants to pursue its plans for Heathrow expansion it must now go back to square one and reconsider the entire case for the runway.
Councillor Ray Puddifoot speaking on behalf of the local councils 2M group, including Hillingdon Council, said: "This is a spectacular victory for our residents. The Government had been trying to close down debate on the true economic impact of a third runway by presenting it as a done deal."
"Today’s ruling has blown that position apart. The Government just did not want to have to take on board the real consequences of new climate change laws. The judge made it clear the figures just did not add up.
"If after this ministers are still intent on pressing ahead with expansion they will have to go back to the beginning and justify the whole economic case in public. Knowing what we now know about rising carbon costs this is an argument they cannot win.
"The third runway is effectively dead because it cannot survive the proper economic and environmental scrutiny which the Government tried to avoid. As local councils we call on the Prime Minister to do to the decent thing and bury this discredited policy."
Geraldine Nicholson, Chair of residents group NoTRAG, said: "As local residents, we now demand that the Government drops all plans for a third runway and sixth terminal at Heathrow so that we can cast off the eight years of blight and start to rejuvenate our communities."
Your reaction? send to email@example.com