FLATS could be built next to a railway line on a site formerly occupied by a Victorian pub.

The King George IV, in Marsh Road, Pinner, closed in January 2013 and was pulled down seven months later.

A housing developer wishes to replace it with a part four-storey, part six-storey building with flexible commercial use on the ground floor, and 25 apartments above, solar panels on the roof and a communal garden accessed by a bridge over the River Pinn.

It is applied to Harrow Council for planning permission.

 

Speaking last year of the proposed plans to turn the property into flats, Stewart Braddock, of Croft Capital UK Asset Management, the owner of the building, said: “It is in quite a state of disrepair and we need to find the right occupier who is willing to spend the money on it.”

The design and access statement submitted as part of the application in October reads: “The vacant site will provide 25 new high-quality residential units in a variety of one- and two-bedroom configurations.

“The proposal will create a strong landmark building that is determined by a taller element next to the railway line.

“The proposed new brick building will be sympathetic in scale, height and façade rhythm (sic) to the adjacent properties.”

An computer-generated impression of the block of flats and commercial space that could be built in Marsh Road, Pinner, where the George IV pub once stood
An computer-generated impression of the block of flats and commercial space that could be built in Marsh Road, Pinner, where the George IV pub once stood
 

In 2011 the applicant was granted permission to convert the ground floor of the pub into offices and the upstairs into a flat.

Business 'better than ever' at pub due to become flats  

The King George IV had been standing since 1889, on a site where there had been a pub since 1740.

Community order for beating up pub customer