A man was rescued from a derelict office block in Brentford High Street in the early hours of this morning from a fire being blamed on a cigarette.
A total of four fire engines and 21 firefighters tackled the blaze after being called at 1:06am today (January 13).
When they arrived at the fire they noticed a man waving at them from the third floor window so they immediately pitched a long ladder and rescued him.
He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service and treated for minor smoke inhalation.
The fire was under control by 2:28pm and London Fire Brigade believe it was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette.
A spokeswoman said: "Fires caused by the careless disposal of cigarettes result in more fire deaths than anything else so it is vitally important that you always put your cigarette right out after use.”
The official cause of the fire is still under investigation.