TWO HECTARES of grass land were destroyed in Feltham last week due to a fire originated through carelessness.
The London Fire Brigade has issued a warning to residents after a spate of grass fires across the capital caused by barbecues and cigarettes.
On Wednesday June 30 four fire engines and 20 firefighters were called to a blaze on Dudley Road at around 2pm.
Householders are being urged to take extra care in the hot weather.
Andy Hickmott, assistant commissioner for community fire safety at the London Fire Brigade, said: "With the hot weather set to continue we’re bracing ourselves for a surge in the number of grass fires. It’s extremely frustrating for the fire service because these fires are easily preventable.
"If you’re disposing of a cigarette or barbecue, please do so carefully. In this hot weather a small spark can spread like wildfire and cause devastation."
The number of grass fires across the capital rose by over 30 per cent from May to June this year. The Met Office said Britain has experienced the driest first six months of the year for more than 80 years.
The fire brigade says this could account for the sudden rise in grass fires from May to June.
Mr Hickmott added: "Grass fires can be extremely time consuming. Just the other day 20 firefighters spent around 18 hours at the scene of one in Kingston. It may well have been caused by someone carelessly dropping a cigarette butt. When firefighters are tackling these fires, they aren’t available to attend other emergencies or do vital community safety work and training”.