IT IS the end of an era for an Ealing church as a group of volunteers helped demolish a near 100-year-old organ to make way for a new one.

A team of 12 ripped apart the pedals and the pipes of a small two-manual organ at St Barnabas Church in Pitshanger Lane over the weekend.

The 14ft organ, which was only meant to serve the church temporarily after the First World War, has finally reached the end of its life and fallen into disrepair, but the church has a replacement in storage and is hoping to raise £300,000 towards restoration.

John Hudson, one of the church organists, said: "The last time it was used was in February. It sounded awful, with even more stops and notes not working.

"There was a delay in the removal plans, as an old church survey mentioned the possibility of asbestos on the organ blower and trunking, so a specialist firm needed to make tests.

Some of the parts predate its installation at St Barnabas Church 94 years ago and it was apparently cobbled together from two much older organs, dating back to 1850.

"The old can be superb and excellent, but it can also be worthless, which, sadly, is what we have with our old organ. It will be replaced by a splendid 1877 William Hill organ, scheduled to come into use in April next year."

The organ, which has been awarded an historic organ certificate by the British Institute of Organ Studies, will be placed at the West End choir gallery.

To donate money towards the restoration call 020 8997 3248 or visit .