A dropped cigarette is believed to have caused a fatal fire at a care home in Brentford.
A 50-year-old man was badly burned in a blaze at Greenrod Place, in Clayponds Lane, last Thursday (July 31) morning and died in hospital the next day.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation but a spokeswoman for Housing & Care 21, which manages the care home, today said a dropped cigarette was the most likely cause.
The man who died has not yet been named. Two other people, both in their 50s, were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and shock, but neither was taken to hospital.
Mikkel Togsverd, Housing & Care 21's regional director for the south east, said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with the resident's family. Our staff responded quickly to the alarm and did everything they could to put out the fire.
"The emergency services were contacted immediately and responded quickly. The resident was air lifted to Broomfield hospital.
"The fire brigade and police have been completing a full investigation into the incident and staff at Greenrod Place are fully assisting with this.
"Naturally, the staff and other residents at the Greenrod independent living scheme are very distressed and we will ensure that they are fully supported during this difficult time."