A Green Belt idyll in a 'forgotten corner' of Feltham could be totally transformed under early proposals which could potentially add a massive 1,000 new homes to the town.
For years the former gravel pits, off Chertsey Road, have sat empty with only the occasional visit from members of Feltham Angling Club to break the peace.
But last Friday a large white marquee went up on the overgrown site, known as Lower Feltham Lakes, as residents from nearby homes flocked to view the proposals.
Planning consultant Neil Osborn, whose firm DLP own the site, said: "These are only very early plans and nothing is set in stone yet but we wanted to get the public involved as early as possible so we could hear their opinions and any suggestions or concerns they might have.
"This area is technically Green Belt land but very few people get any enjoyment out of it. We're hoping our plans will open it up for everyone, with part of it developed and part for community uses."
If plans are eventually approved DLP estimates work will not even begin until 2012, but there are currently three rough proposals on offer:
'Concept One' would see 850 dwellings built on 40 per cent of the site. All the fishing lakes would remain and the other 60 per cent would be turned over to community use, including 15 per cent for a dedicated wildlife area.
'Concept Two' would offer the same number of homes but see a further 10 per cent of the site used for an employment area.
'Concept Three' , likely to be the least popular, increases the amount dedicated to residential use to 45 per cent, creating 1,000 dwellings, and the employment area rise to 15 per cent. For this to happen at least two of the lakes would have to be drained.
If you would like to view the proposals or voice your opinion, visit www.plan-ningconsultation.com