The community dig to uncover the history of Eastcote House has begun.
Schoolchildren, scout groups and local people are joining the experts from AOC Archaeology to dig the grounds in Eastcote House Gardens thanks to funding from Hillingdon Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).
The gardens, now owned by the council but maintained by volunteer group the Friends of Eastcote House Gardens , were once the grounds of Eastcote House.
The first recorded mention of a house on the site is a cottage called Hopkyttes in 1494.
AOC lead a smaller dig in 2012 when pottery shards dating back to the 14th century were discovered.
Last year, Eastcote House Gardens was given a grant of £1.3million by the HLF to restore the remaining Tudor buildings on the site , the stables, dovecote and walled garden.
Part of the grant is funding the community dig.
The first of a series of four excavations planned to take place over the next four summers started on Saturday, June 28 and continues the work started in 2012 to uncover the foundations of the ancient house.
The volunteer diggers have already managed to uncover a large proportion of the porch of the house.
If you would like to take part, the archaeologists will be on site until Sunday, July 13th.
Visit the council website for details on how to get involved.