TWO children and a woman were taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a semi-detached house on Rayners Lane, Pinner, last night.
The fire, believed to be caused by a hair straighteners, was reported at 20:57pm, with two fire engines and 14 fire fighters rushing to the scene from Northolt Fire Station accompanied by two ambulances and police.
The woman, 35, managed to escape into the garden, but two boys aged 4 and 5 who were in bed at the time of the fire were trapped upstairs.
The fire crew rescued the children and treated them on the scene with breathing apparatus, and were then taken to Northwick Park hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, although no serious injuries were sustained.
Watch Manager Mick Passingham from Northolt fire station said: "There was no working smoke alarm in the house. Our advice is to fit a smoke alarm on each level of your home so that you’re quickly alerted if a blaze breaks out."
The woman accidentally left her hair straighteners switched on when popping downstairs to open the door for a takeaway pizza.
It is thought that as she was collecting the food, the straighteners were left of a pile of clothes which initiated the fire.
Mr Passingham added: "After using hair straighteners you should put them down on a heat proof surface and unplug them straight away because as we’ve seen here, it’s really easy to get distracted."
Emergency services managed to get the situation under control by 21:59pm.