A chemical leak scare closed off Queensway yesterday (November 10) after paramedics found a woman unconscious in her flat.
London Ambulance Service (LAS) was called at 1.42pm to the flat near the junction of Bayswater Road where they found the woman and smelt a strange smell so called London Fire Brigade (LFB) an hour later.
Firefighters went in with their chemical hazard suits but by that time could not register any unusual chemical levels but called police as they thought the woman’s condition could be suspicious.
Today police revealed the 44-year-old woman is vulnerable and had taken an overdose.
A Met spokesman said: “We initially thought it was a chemical leak so cordoned the road off from 2.50pm for the public’s safety but it soon emerged the woman had overdosed which had caused her to become unconscious. She was put on a breathing apparatus and taken to hospital in critical condition where she remains. We opened the road again at 4pm.”
An LAS spokeswoman said they sent an ambulance crew, an advanced paramedic and a hazardous area response team then treated a woman who they took to hospital.
A spokesman for LFB, said: “We were called just after 2.45pm to Queensway to a chemical leak coming from a residential property but found no elevated rates so left it with the building manager. It was all over by 4.26pm.”