CAT owners living in and around West Drayton and Yiewsley are being warned to be on their guard after one was poisoned with antifreeze.
Martin Atkinson, a vet at St Martin’s Veterinary Clinic, in Station Road, West Drayton, issued the warning after he had to put down two-year-old Rex.
A second cat has since died in similar circumstances and tests are under way to see if it has been a victim of poisoning.
Rex was brought into the practice by a woman who was looking after him until he could be rehoused.
He had been found collapsed and was rushed to the vet’s where it was discovered his kidneys had failed.
Despite the best efforts of Mr Atkinson, who cared for Rex through the night, it was decided to put him down to end his suffering, after it became apparent that only a rare and costly kidney transplant would save him.
Mr Atkinson said accidental poisoning of cats used to be commonplace but he believed in this case it was deliberate.
He said: “The results of a post-mortem examination confirmed almost beyond doubt that Rex’s kidneys had been completely destroyed by ethylene glycol poisoning.
“This used to be quite common as an accidental form of poisoning in the past, when people regularly changed antifreeze in their cars and spilled it in gutters, but with the advent of sealed radiators it is rare and these days most cases are malicious.
“Unfortunately, this form of poisoning is increasingly common and should serve as a warning to cat owners in the Drayton Gardens area of West Drayton especially, but also elsewhere, to be vigilant and report anything they consider suspicious in the hope the perpetrators can be held to account.”
Anyone who sees anything suspicious that they believe could cause harm to an animal can call police on 101 or the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.