THE minicab driver attacked in Ruislip over a week ago has yet to regain consciousness and remains in a 'critical but stable' condition in hospital.
Five young men have been charged with attempted murder and robbery in connection to the incident on March 19 and will appear at the Old Bailey in June to answer the charges.
They were each refused bail at Uxbridge Magistrates' Court last week, where it was heard that the 39-year-old victim from South London, understood to be a father of two young children, was "not likely to recover".
Police have refused to name the victim or the hospital where he is being treated at but an anonymous Gazette reader posted online: "This is my uncle who was attacked, he has a 16-month-old boy and a three-year-old daughter, please pray for him to get better for his children and his wife."
The victim, who works for a firm in the Farringdon area, has been operated on several times since the incident occurred in Bridgewater Road, at 3.40am on March 19, in an effort to stop the swelling of his brain. But doctors said the operations, one of which removed a section of his skull, had not been successful.
Crown prosecutor Andrew Caird said: "There is bleeding to both sides of the brain to such an extent that one of his eyeballs is bulging from its socket. His condition is constantly deteriorating. At this point in time he is deemed critical but stable, by way of a ventilator that is keeping him alive."
The accused are 18-year-olds George Lynes, of Larne Road, Ruislip, Christopher Boyce and Ross Bailey, both of Victoria Road, Ruislip, and Conor Swift, of Park Crescent, Harrow.
Magistrates refused to name the fifth defendant, a 17-year-old from Ruislip who will be an adult by the time he reappears in court, despite an appeal against the decision by the Gazette.
Each of them appeared in court last Tuesday (22) but spoke only to confirm their name and many were in tears for much of the hearing.
The four from Ruislip are former Bishop Ramsey Church of England School pupils.